Josephine Edochie is the wife of the legendary Nollywood actor, Pete Edochie. Josephine and Pete have been together for almost 50 years and their marriage is reputed to be the longest in the entertainment industry.
In this post, you’ll get to know some interesting things about the amiable Josephine Edochie.
Josephine was Pete’s contemporary in the broadcasting industry and it was at work the duo met. According to Pete Edochie, he married Josephine quite early in his life. Pete reiterates that is marriage to Josephine of almost 50 years has been a very fulfilling one. Their union has produced six children.
Josephine has six children comprising five boys and a girl. The most popular of the children are the two that have ventured into acting, Linc and Yul.
Linc is involved in acting, writing and directing. Yul is also an actor. He is married with three children. He featured in the Exquires which was his first ever movie.Yul also runs an academy for upcoming actors and actresses in Nigeria. The name of the academy is the Yul Edochie Academy.The vision of the academy is to train the next generation of Nollywood actors and actresses. Yul is also an award winning actor. He has won the Pamsaa Awards for the Best Actor. Also, he has won the City People Entertainment Award for Best New Actor and Best Actor.
Josephine’s husband is the veteran actor, Pete Edochie. He was born on the 7th of March, 1947.
Pete is one of the most talented actors in not only Nigeria but Africa. He became quite popular in the entertainment industry when he played the role of Okonkwo in the NTA adaptation of China Achebe’s all-time best selling novel, ‘Things fall apart.”
Apart from his career in acting, Pete Edochie is also a seasoned administrator and broadcaster.
Some of his movies include:
- Heavy Battle (2008)
- Test Your Heart (2008)
- Greatest Harvest (2007)
- Secret Pain (2007)
- Fair Game (2006)
- Holy Cross (2006)
- Lacrima (2006)
- Living with Death (2006)
- Never End (2005)
- No More War (2005)
- Price of Ignorance (2005)
- Across the Niger (2004)
- Coronation (2004)
- Above Death: In God We Trust (2003)
- Arrows (2003)
- Billionaires Club (2003)
- Egg of Life (2003)
- Honey (2003)
- Love & Politics (2003)
- Miserable Wealth (2003)
- Holy Ghost Fire (2001)
- Terrible Sin (2001)
- Oduduwa (2000)
- Set-Up (2000)
- Chain Reaction (1999)
- Lost Kingdom (1999)
- Narrow Escape (1999)
- Living in darkness (1999)
- Rituals (1997)
- “Things Fall Apart” (1987) TV series
Josephine worked as a broadcaster and it was at her job as an announcer that she met her husband. She is also a trained lawyer.
Josephine has been married to Pete for over 48 years and it is obvious that their relationship has certainly stood the test of time.
In a recent interview with the couple, they gave some tips which they have applied to make their marriage work. Below is a highlight of their points:
- Always ask your partner how his/her day went.
- Quarrels will happen but they should affect your relationship. You can madly love a person and you can also be mad at him/her. Quarrels do not necessarily mean that the marriage has come to an end. Staying together means you have chosen friendship and peace over conflicts. Pete buttresses his point with this proverb, ‘a bad peace is better than a good quarrel.’ And he claims this is the reason why they rarely fights.
- Relationship comes with obligations. This means that you would have to do things that you may not like. But you will have to do these things because your presence makes him or her happy.
- Gifts are very important. Never forget the small gifts – they are remembered for a long time. As they say, pleasant trifles play a big role in life, especially the signs of attention.
- It is not mandatory that you have the same friends. You don’t have to insist on parties with other married couples with whom one of you is not friendly.
- Kiss each other often. If one of you has to go to work early, you can kiss your significant other tenderly and try not to wake him/her up.
- Sometimes, you may have to refuse invitations to stay with your spouse. Life can make either of you very busy and you don’t have to fill the calendar of the week with unnecessary meetings and invitations.
- Treat your in-law as you would treat your own family. Your in-laws will be pleased when you consider them as your family.
- You should say ‘I love you’ often. These three words can never become obsolete. They are always nice to hear. Tell them more often, do not skimp on words.
- Show sympathy when your loved one is sick. Perhaps, because of this, you will have to cancel plans for dinner in the restaurant and instead cook the broth at home.
- You can assist your husband (wife) with household chores especially when there is a lot of work to be done.
- Never joke or mock at each other especially in front of other people. As a matter of fact, mocking your partner should never be done whether in public or in private. Show respect to each other and pay attention to what you say about your partner especially in public.
Due to the fact that Josephine isn’t quite popular in the entertainment circle, many have claimed that Rita Edochie, an actress in Nollywood is Pete’s wife. The reason for this speculation is because Rita and Pete share the same surname.
However, Rita has since dispelled the rumour in an interview. Although she says she’s still technically Pete Edochie’s wife according to Igbo culture. Rita is the wife of Pete’s younger brother, Tony Edochie.