Babcock University, also known as (BU) has its roots traced to the 17th of September, 1959 when the Adventist College of West Africa (ACWA) was established by the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
The University was formally inaugurated on the 17th of June, 1999. The University began with three faculties (which later became known as schools). These are:
-Faculty of Education and Humanities
-Faculty of Management and Social Sciences
-Faculty of Science and Technology
The School of Law and Security Studies was added and became the fourth School. The 50th Anniversary of the institution and 10th Anniversary of the university was celebrated on the 7th of June, 2009.
Babcock now has a medical school which began operations on January 2012 and a post-graduate school which began operations in the third quarter of 2010
Currently, Babcock hosts 9 schools. Below is a complete list of these schools, departments under each, courses offered by Babcock University and requirements thereof.
- Benjamin Carson School of Medicine
Department of Anatomy
Department of Physiology
Department of Biochemistry
Requirements for admission into the above departments are 5 Credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
Department of Nutrition & Dietetics
Nutrition & Dietetics
Requirements: 5 credit passes in English Language, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology/Agricultural Science, Food and Nutrition, physics or Geography
Department of Computer Science
Department of Software Engineering
Department of Information Technology
Requirements: 5 credit passes in English Language, Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry and any other Science subject.
- School of Education And Humanities
Department of History and International Studies
History and International Studies
Requirements: 5 credits in GCE/SSCE/NECO to include English Language, History/Government and 3 other subjects related to the course
Department of Languages and Literary Studies
Requirements: 5 credits in English Language, Literature in English and 3 other subjects
A credit pass in French is essential and may be taken in place of a pass in Literature in English.
Department of Religious Studies
5 credits in English Language, CRK, IRK and any other 3 Arts subjects
Department of Education
Educational Planning and Administration
For the programs offered under this department, one must have 5 credits in English Language and Mathematics and 3 other social science related subjects
Department of Music and Creative Arts
5 credits in English Language, and four other subjects.
- School of Law And Security Studies
Department of Law
5 credits in English Language, Mathematics, Literature in English and two other social science subjects
- School of Management Sciences
Department of Accounting
Department of Banking & Finance
Banking & Finance
Department of Business Administration & Marketing
The requirements for the courses in this departments are 5 credits in English Language, Literature in English, Mathematics and two other social science subjects
- School of Nursing Sciences
Department of Nursing Science
Requirements: English language, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
- Public and Allied Health
Department of Public health
Department of Medical Laboratory Science
Medical Laboratory Science
Requirements: 5 credit passes in English Language, Biology, Mathematics, Chemistry and any other subject related to Public Health or the sciences
- Science And Technology
Department of Agriculture & Industrial Technology
Agronomy & Landscape Design
Requirements: 5credits passes to include English Language, Mathematics, Econmics, Agricultural science, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
Department of Basic Sciences
Physics with Electronics
Department of Microbiology
Requirements for admission into the department of Basic Science and Microbiology are 5 credits passes in English Language, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
- Veronica Adeleke School of Social Sciences
Department of Economics
Department of Mass Communication
Department of Political Science and Public Administration
Department of Social Work & Human Services
Requirement: 5 credits in English Language, Literature in English, Mathematics and two other social science related subjects
- College Of Postgraduate Studies
How to Apply for Admission at Babcock University
General Entry Requirements
- The minimum qualification required for First Degree Programs at the Babcock University include:
5 credit pass including English language and Mathematics obtained at the SSCE/GCE O’Level/NECO/NABTEB Examinations or their equivalent. This must be gotten at not more than 2 sittings.
For admission into the School of Medicine & Surgery, this must be obtained at only one sitting
Candidates below the age of 16 are advised not to apply.
- Candidates awaiting their WAEC/NECO/SSCE results will be required to present acceptable qualifications before they are matriculated.
- All candidates who apply directly to Babcock University for 100 level are required to sit for the JAMB examination
- Candidates can also apply for JAMB Direct Entry admissions to 200 level
- Candidates applying for Transfer Admissions are required to present JAMB Admission letter, Attestation letter and Transcript from their previous University.
- All prospective candidates are required to apply for programmes of their choice by filling the JAMB registration forms. Anyone who wishes to pursue a course of study with Babcock University is required to sit for the UTME examination of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB). They must also attain the prescribed cut-off mark. This is a statutory requirement for entry into any Nigerian University.
- Prospective candidates are to obtain a Babcock University Admission Form for screening and verification exercises. No applicants are admitted if the demands of the screening exercise are not met.
Steps to apply for Babcock University Screening/Verification Exercises
- After submitting your UTME/JAMB FORM
- Step 1: VISIT http://application2.babcock.edu.ng to begin the application process.
- Create login details by putting in a valid email address and telephone number to obtain your Password
- Log-in with your Username
- Your email address and Password will already be sent to the email address supplied in step 1.
- Click to fill Form
- After filling every required information, Click the button to save the form
- Upload your Passport Photograph (This must be in LPG or PNG format and according to the specified size)
- Select Screening Centre and Date of Screening.