State universities are academic institutions owned by the government at the state level. These universities were basically created to expand admissions and bring professional skills, expertise and modern research facilities close to the city and rural dwellers. Over the years, these universities have been pivotal in helping talented students obtain higher education.
List of State Universities in Nigeria
In this post, we will take a look at the state universities in the country.
1. Abia State University (ABSU)
ABSU was founded in 1981 and was initially controlled by the Imo State University but when Abia state was created in 1991, the Uturu campus of the Imo State University was ceded to Abia State.
The College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine was added to the Uturu Campus to become the Abia State University. Currently, the University offers the undergraduate, graduate and doctorate degrees
2. The Technical University, Ibadan
Tech-U, as it is popularly called, began its academic session in 2017 and currently has a total of 15 academic programmes fully accredited by the National Universities Commission (NUC).
Some of the NUC-accredited programmes include Mechatronics Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Food Science and Technology, Cyber Security, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Physics with Electronics, Petroleum Engineering, Industrial Chemistry, and Statistics.
3. Borno State University
Borno State University is one of the latest state universities to be accredited by the NUC. A total of 118 students have been admitted and the university is expected to commence its academic session sometime in 2018.
Some of the courses offered include Law, Arts, Agriculture, Medical science, Veterinary medicine, and others.
4. Kebbi State University of Science and Technology
Located in Aliero, Kebbi, the Kebbi State University was established in 2006 to provide admission to indigenes of Kebbi State. The university offers Science, Education, Engineering and Agriculture related courses.
5. The Tai Solarin University of Education
Established in 2005, the Tai Solarin University Education is a university located in Ogun State. The history of the university can be traced to the Ogun State College of Education which was established in 1978. Some of the courses offered in TASUED include Religious studies, Mathematics, Art, Political science, Economics, Business, Agriculture, Physics, etc.
6. Nasarawa State University
Nasarawa State University is located in Keffi in Nasarawa State. Some of the courses offered include Agronomy, Finances, Agriculture and Accounting.
7. Eastern Palm University
Located in Ogboko in Imo State, Eastern Palm University was established by the Imo State Government in 2016 with the goal of becoming a world-class university anchored on excellence and research needs of all relevant persons, irrespective of gender, nationality, religion or political conviction. The courses offered at EPU include Biochemistry, Physics, Sociology, Literary Studies, Philosophy, Computer science, etc.
8. Northwest University
Northwest University is a state university in Kano State. The faculties include Faculty of Agriculture, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, Faculty of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Education, Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Environmental Sciences, Faculty of Humanities, Faculty of Information and Communication Technology, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Faculty of Science, School of General, Entrepreneurial and Remedial Studies, School of Postgraduate Studies
9. Niger Delta University
Located in Wilberforce Island in Bayelsa State, the Niger Delta University was established in 2000. Currently, the school has more than 10000 students offering various courses in its 12 faculties, some of which include Medicine, Business, Economics, Educational arts, Diplomacy, and Health science.
10. Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University
IBB University is a state university in Niger State. the courses offered include Management, Religious studies, Economics, Agriculture, Animal Science, Psychology, Arabic studies, etc. The university recently approved the construction of its medical college.
11. Kaduna State University
The Kaduna State University was established in 2004 and currently consists of 7 faculties and 39 departments. The faculties include Arts, Science, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Social and Management Sciences, Environmental Sciences and Agriculture.
12. Edo University Iyamho (EUI)
Edo University Iyamho is located in Edo North, Etsako West LGA, Edo State. EUI is one of the most recent universities in the country. It was established in 2016.
13. Umaru Musa Yar’Adua University (UMYU)
Formerly called the Katsina State, the name of the university was changed to Umara Musa Yaradua University in 2009.
The school has five faculties namely Faculty of Education, Faculty of Humanities, Faculty of Law, Natural and Applied Sciences, Social and Management Sciences.
UMYU has a postgraduate school offering Masters and Postgraduate Diploma degrees.
14. Taraba State University
Established in 2008, Taraba State University is located in Taraba State. some of the courses offered at the University include study Engineering, Art, Management, Agriculture and Social sciences
15. Plateau State University
Located in Bokkos in Plateau, the university was established in 2005 and some of the disciplines include Applied Sciences, Arts, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences, and Management.
Other state universities in the country include:
- Adamawa State University Mubi
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- Yobe State University, Damaturu
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar
- Delta State University Abraka
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Ekiti State University
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai
- Ignatius Ajuru University of Education,Rumuolumeni
- Imo State University, Owerri
- Sule Lamido University, Kafin Hausa, Jigawa
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kwara State University, Ilorin
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa
- River State University of Science and Technology
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Lagos State University, Ojo
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa
- Tai Solarin University of Education
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina
- Osun State University Osogbo
- Sokoto State University
- Ondo State University of Medical Sciences
- University of Africa Toru Orua, Bayelsa State