If you’re interested in studying Computer Science at the University, there are specific requirements before you can be enrolled.
In this post, we take a look at the required WAEC subjects for a Computer Science major at the University.
Required WAEC Subjects for Computer Science
Computer Science is basically the study of computers and computational systems. The difference between electrical or computer engineers and computer science is that computer scientists deal mostly with software and software systems. These include the theory, design, development, and application.
The major areas of study within Computer Science include artificial intelligence, computer systems, and networks, security, database systems, human-computer interaction, vision and graphics, numerical analysis, programming languages, software engineering, bioinformatics and theory of computing.
Generally, the Computer Science disciplines are quite vast and some of the exciting areas of specialization available to students pursuing computer science degrees:
- Applied Mathematics
- Digital Image/ Sound
- Artificial Intelligence
- Networks And Administration
- Computer Architecture Networks
- Computer Engineering
- Operating Systems
- Computer Game Development
- Computer Graphics
- Simulation And Modeling
- Computer Programming
- Software Development
- Software Systems
- Data Management
- Web Development
- Design Databases
- Parallel Programming
- iOS Development
- Mobile Development
- Memory Systems
- Computational Physics
The variety of disciplines can leave you confused when you decide to choose a specialization. However, you can make this easy by choosing a discipline that you’re passionate about. But you shouldn’t forget the marketability of that specialty as well
When making your choice in Nigeria of the University you intend to enroll for your degree, you can visit the university’s website in addition to asking alumni or current students of the university about the course.
There are also countless websites online that answer questions from where to study computer science, to providing internship and career advice.
Now that you know what Computer Science entails, let’s take a look at the admission requirements.
You have to scale two hurdles prior to being admitted to study Computer Science in any Nigerian University.
The first hurdle is passing your JAMB examination.
The Joint Admission Matriculation Board is also known as JAMB is the body overseeing the processes and procedure which involves gaining entrance and admission into Nigerian tertiary institutions, education precisely.
JAMB was established in 1978 saddled with the task of ensuring a uniform standard for the conduct of matriculation examination and giving of admission to suitable candidates who are qualified,
Typically, JAMB organizes her examination once in a year for eligible candidates that have completed their secondary education and have successfully registered for the JAMB examination.
Apart from conducting the UTME examination, JAMB is also involved in the following functions:
- ensuring eligibility of students seeking admission into tertiary institutions,
- syllabus development and review,
- creation of admission requirements,
- structuring of the unified tertiary matriculation examination,
- brochure review, and development,
- placement of students into tertiary institutions,
- collection and dissemination of information regarding admission into tertiary institutions
Computer science is a pure science course and as expected the JAMB subject combination is science-inclined. These core subjects include:
- English language (compulsory),
- Chemistry or Biology
You will need to score at least 180 in the JAMB examination if you’re to stand a chance of gaining admission into the university.
The second hurdle is passing the WAEC exam
The WAEC exams are taken in the five countries and it is known as West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE).
WASSCE is taken three times a year which include:
- WASCE for Private Candidates (January – February)
- WASSCE for (School Candidates) March – May
- WASSCE for Private Candidates (Main GCE) September – October
The WAEC subject requirements for Computer Science for a student looking to study Computer Science are also science inclined. These include 5 science subjects namely Mathematics, English, physics and any other two science courses which can either be Chemistry, Biology, Geography or Economics. The candidate is expected to earn at least a Credit pass in these subjects to be deemed fit for admission.
Additionally, we have put together a list of the schools that offer Computer Science as a course. You can find the list below
It is important to have a clue on educational institutions that offer computer science, this will help candidates gain insight into the school he or she would like to study the course.
- Abia State University (ABSU)
- Adekunle Ajasin University (AAUA)
- Afe Babalola University (ABUAD)
- Ahmadu Bello University (ABU)
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina (AUK)
- Ambrose Alli University (AAU)
- Anambra State University (ANSU)
- Bauchi State University (BASU)
- Bayero University Kano (BUK)
- Benue State University (BSU)
- Bingham University (BINGHAM)
- Bowen University (BU)
- Caritas University (CARITAS)
- Covenant University (CU)
- Crawford University (CRAWFORD)
- Delta State University (DELSU)
- Ekiti State University (EKSU)
- Federal University Gashua (FUGASHUA)
- Federal University Gusau (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University, Dutsin-ma (FUDMA)
- Federal University, Lafia (FUL)
- Federal University, Oye-ekiti (FUOYE)
- Federal University, Wukari (FUWUKARI)
- Fountain University (FOUNTAIN)
- Godfrey Okoye University (GO)
- Gombe State university (GOMSU)
- Gregory University, Uturu (GUU)
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University (IBBU)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University (JABU)
- Kaduna State university (KASU)
- Kogi State University (KSU)
- Kwara State University (KWASU)
- Lagos State University (LASU)
- Landmark University (LANDMARK)
- Lead City University (LCU)
- Madonna University (MADONNA)
- Nasarawa State University (NSUK)
- Nigerian Police Academy, Wudil, Kano State (NPA)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK)See all courses offered by UNIZIK
- Novena University (NOVENA)
- Obong University (OU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU)
- Osun State University (UNIOSUN)
- Paul University (PAUL)
- Redeemer’s University (RUN)
- Rhema University (RHEMA)
- Ritman University (RITMAN)
- Sokoto State University (SSU)
- Taraba State University (TASU)
- Umaru Musa Yar’adua University (UMYU)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- University Of Mkar (UNIMKAR)
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Usman Dan Fodio University (UDUSOK)
- Western Delta University (WDU)
- Yobe State University (YSU)