The University of Ibadan (U.I) is a popular choice among prospective university applicants and one of the questions often asked by this group of candidates is what is the admission process at the university?
In this post, we’ve highlighted the processes involved prior to gaining admission into this prestigious institution.
But first, let’s take a look at some quick facts about the university.
- Located in Oyo State, U.I is 8 km from the center of Ibadan;
- The university is rated as the best in the country according to the National Universities Commission;
- Established in 1948, the University of Ibadan is the oldest university in the country;
- At inception, U.I was called the University College, Ibadan due to its affiliation to the University College, London at that time
- Some of the notable alumni from UI include Wole Soyinka, Ken Saro-Wiwa, Alexander Animalu, Emeka Anyaokum, Michael Omolewa, William Kumuyi, Niyi Osundare, and many others.
If you’re looking to apply to UI, the first thing you should take note of is the UTME cut off point. The cut-off point for the university is 200 marks and candidates that score below this mark are ineligible to participate in the screening exercise
The screening exercise is also known as the Post UTME screening. The information on this post UTME screening can be found on the official University website.
In 2017, UI introduced the Central Admissions Processing System (CAPS) in collaborate with JAMB in order to make the admission process more seamless. CAPS is a system designed by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) to automate the admissions process to tertiary institutions.
This system introduces a number of innovations into the admission process. These include: opportunities for candidates to confirm provisional admissions thus eliminating multiple admission or ignorance about admission status.
As a candidate, you should familiarize yourself with the process to enable easy checking and tracking of your admission status at any point in time on the JAMB portal.
But before the CAPS is your post UTME screening exercise, you can check the University website from time to time in order to know the date for the screening. Also, you’d need to take note of the necessary requirements so that your admission process won’t be negatively affected.
If you successfully scale through the post-UTME screening and you’re offered admission, you can visit the CAPS website to accept your admission and proceed to pay the acceptance fee.
On the other hand, if you’re unable to scale through the process, you can change to another course if you satisfy the following requirements:
- If you’re a science student and you score an aggregate score of at least 60% you can apply for a change of course
- If you’re an arts student with an aggregate score of 55% and you’re yet to be offered admission in your course of first choice, you can also apply for a change of course
It is important that your aggregate score is not below the cut-off point of the course you intend to change to. You can log in to see the available courses that you can change to. You should note that there’s a time window for candidates that want to change their course.
Overall, we’ve compiled a list of guidelines you should take when applying to U.I:
- Ensure you fill the online forms carefully and correctly. A simple mistake can lead to your disqualification
- Always use your functional telephone number and e-mail to enable the University to reach you in the course of the Admission exercise.
- Always upload your passport photos and signatures in the JPEG format. These photos must be on white background without cap, glasses, or headgear.
- Submit your original documents. Falsification of documents can lead to disqualification and possibly prosecution by the Law Enforcement Agencies.
- You can also use the JAMB brochure to get to know more about the admission requirements.
- For O Level result, UI accepts 5 credits at one sitting in the following faculties:
- Basic Medical Sciences
- College of Medicine
- Clinical Sciences
- Public Health
- On the other hand, the University may accept 6 credits at 2 sittings in the following faculties:
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Veterinary Medicine
- Education Technology
- Social Sciences
All applicants with 2 “O” level results (2 sittings) must confirm that the comprehensive details of both results are submitted.
If you have any further questions concerning the admission process at the University of Ibadan admission, you can contact the University.
If you’re applying for postgraduate admission, we’ve also highlighted the admission process in this post.
- At the postgraduate level, you can either apply for full-time or part time admission. The full-time candidates should be unemployed while the part-time students are allowed to work as long as they can show evidence of their employers` release.
- There’s another option of being admitted as an occasional student. In this case, candidates must satisfy the entry requirements for the degree program, and the Faculty Postgraduate Committee recommends you, then you may be admitted as an occasional student. Occasional students don’t receive a degree certificate from the University of Ibadan at the end of their program.
- All candidates must be graduates of the University of Ibadan or any other institutions recognized by the Senate. The Postgraduate School is responsible for making the admission decision based on the recommendation of the Faculty Postgraduate Committee.
- If a candidate has no previous higher degrees in the appropriate discipline, s/he may be admitted to either the Professional Degree of Master or the Degree of Master.
- All candidates who own recognized research higher degree in the relevant discipline are admitted to the M.Phil or Ph.D degree programs.
- The letters of recommendation or Referee’s Reports are very important in admission process. Applicants that fails to provide the required documents, (transcripts, referees report, etc) may jeopardize their admission chances.
- Some postgraduate programmes require an oral interview prior to the admission decision being made. Usually, the Postgraduate School’s Admission Office will arrange for such interviews in collaboration with the relevant departments.
- More information on the University of Ibadan Postgraduate admission requirements can be found on the University website.
I am a Liberian Student, and I am graduate of Cuttington University, Liberia.
I hold a Bachelor of Science(BSc.) Degree in Chemistry; I want enroll UI medical college.
Please help me with information about the admission process.
Please can I be offer admission to university of ibadan with only my O level results
I applied for law but I had 68.5 as aggregate which has the different of 1.62. The cut off mark is 70.12
Can I b considered for admission
Pls wat is d cut off mark for UI I had 195 and I chooses communication and language art
the jamb cutoff for ui is 200
Please I just apply for direct entry to study early childhood and I choose the school as first choice please explain direare rebeccact entry stuff to me
College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Oyo State…. its there form out?
please,I was given admission into ui dlc without the course of my choice,so I didn’t register for it.please can I choose ui again if I want to write another jamb?