When applying for a Canadian visa in Nigeria, you will be required to submit the following documents:
1. Application Forms
Download and complete Application Form IMM5257 (Click here to download) and Family Information Form IMM 5645 (Click here to download) You must answer every question in both forms. Write N/A if a question is not applicable to you.
If you’re to be accompanied by one or more family members, each of them must complete and sign their own application. Only those who are aged 18 years and above are required to fill the forms. For those younger than 18 years, they must have their form signed by a parent or guardian.
Note that you’re required to list all your children under 18 years of age on the Family Information Form, even they don’t need a visa or are not accompanying you. If you have more than three family members, use additional copies of the form.
When filling the forms, be sure to include your mailing address, reliable phone number, and email address. You should fill out the new forms electronically and submit a print out of your computer-generated forms, including the 2D barcode page.
2. Additional documents
You will also need to submit the following items to obtain your Canadian visa:
- Two passport photographs with the date and your signature at the back. The passport must not be older than six months. If you’re to be accompanied by your family member(s), submit 2 passport photographs for each individual, and write their name and date of birth on the back.
- Evidence of payment of your visa processing fee
- Your original passport and that of anyone accompanying you (if you’re not going alone). The passport must be a Nigerian-issued one. It must have a minimum of two blank visa pages and at least 6 months validity. Along with the passport, you will submit a photocopy of the bio-data page (the page showing your name, photo, date of birth, etc.).
- Previous passports (evidence of your previous travel history).
- A note containing an explanation of the purpose of your trip, length of stay, destination, and contacts. You must also provide a provisional airline booking.
- An invitation from the person or business you’re visiting — stating the visit dates, duration, purpose, and contact information.
- Proof of funds. You must submit convincing evidence that you have enough funds to cover your travel and other expenses. Acceptable evidence include a certified bank statement showing your account history over the past three months, or evidence of investments in your name.
- Evidence of invitation, registration, and hotel confirmation (if you’re going to Canada for a seminar, conference, or trade show).
- Self addressed pre-paid return courier envelope to return your documents.
Other documents that may apply in certain circumstances include the following:
- A letter from your employer stating the purpose of your travel (if you’re travelling for business purposes).
- PRoof of pardon or right to travel, if you have been convicted of a crime, check both the Canada pardons services website and the Nigerian pardons services website for details.
- Proof of your business (if you’re a businessman). Examples include business registration certificates, tax clearance certificates, trade certificates, licenses and financial documents (business bank account statement for past six months).
- Proof of employment, such as a letter from your current employer and payslips (last 3 months).
- Proof of current studies (if you’re a student).
- A copy of the IMM5257 Schedule 1 (Click here to download).