Though it is one of the most faraway places on earth, traveling to New Zealand could be a dream come true for most people. The country has one of the best facilities in the world making it a great place for business, vacation, and education. As a Nigerian citizen, you will need a New Zealand visa to be granted access to the country and its facilities.
In this article, you will find all the visa requirements for Nigerian citizens and how to apply for a New Zealand visa.
New Zealand Visa Requirements for Nigerian Citizens
- A valid Nigerian passport with at least 3 months validity from check out.
- Photocopies of your Nigerian passport showing the information pages that have a signature. Ensure that the pages of your current passport provided are showing your photo, personal details, passport issues, and expiry dates. You will be required to upload a copy of your passport when you apply online.
- Proof of health requirements will be needed during your application process. You may have to undergo a medical examination as proof of your good health.
- Proof of your good character or good public profile. You may be required to provide a police document as proof of your good character.
- Proof that you have enough money to sustain yourself during your stay. You could provide a personal bank statement, payslip from your employer, or tax records.
- If you’re sponsored, the sponsor must provide proof of funds that show they can look after you in New Zealand. This could also be a recent bank statement, payslips, employment agreement, and proof of accommodation.
- You will have to show proof that you will return to Nigeria. This could be in the form of a letter from your employer stating that you plan to return to your job. Proof that you’re a student in your home country, proof that you have family members in your home, proof that you can return home, or proof that you have assets in your home country.
- If you’re married, you will be required to provide a marriage certificate.
- If you have your children accompanying you, you will be required to provide their birth certificates.
How to apply for New Zealand Visa
- Go to the New Zealand immigration website to begin your online visa application.
- When you create an account, fill in all the requirements and upload your passport photograph according to the specifications
- Submit your application form and the regular documents based on the type of visa you apply for.
- Make your payment for your visa application form
- Print out the application form and take it to the New Zealand Visa Application Centre for further review.
What is the New Zealand eTA?
The New Zealand eTA refers to an electronic travel authorization provided to foreign nationals that want to enter the country. This was introduced in 2019 and makes it easier to obtain a visa without having to go through the long process.
The New Zealand eTA is available to Nigerian citizens. The visa application process happens online and you will be required to provide your personal details and passport to get approved. The approved eTa is usually provided in the email within 3 business days. The New Zealand eTA will only give you access to New Zealand if you enter the country by cruise ship or transiting via Auckland International Airport to another destination.
You will be required to obtain other types of visas if you wish to enter the country for other reasons.
New Zealand eTA Requirements as a Nigerian Citizens
- Valid Nigerian passport– You will be required to provide your passport with at least 2 months validity remaining on arrival in New Zealand
- Recent passport photograph– Provide a recent passport photograph
- A valid form of payment– You will be required to make payment for the eTA form using your valid debit card or credit card. You could also pay other levies based on the website.
- Contact information– You will need a valid email address to create an account as well as receive your approved New Zealand eTA
- Return or onward flight tickets– You will be required to provide evidence of return tickets or onward travel plans to prove you will plan to leave the country within the time allowed by your visa.
- Evidence of financial means– You will be required to provide proof that you can cater for yourself during your stay.
How to Apply for New Zealand eTA for Nigerian Citizens
Getting a New Zealand eTA as a Nigerian citizen is an easy process that only requires a few minutes to complete as long as you have all the requirements.
- Complete the eTA application form online by providing your personal information
- Provide the required documents and your reason for visiting New Zealand
- Pay the application fee and submit the form
Types of New Zealand Visa
- Transit Visa: Provided to travelers that want to make a stopover in New Zealand for a short period or passengers passing through New Zealand territory by flight or ocean liner.
- Visitor Visa: Provided to travelers that want to visit New Zealand as a tourist or visit family and friends.
- Work Visa: Provided to travelers that want to do business or work in New Zealand. This type of visa will only be approved if you already have a job offer from a company or organization in New Zealand.
- Student Visa: if you wish to further your education in New Zealand, you will be provided a student visa. You will have to confirm that you’re a student or have gained admission to an educational institution in New Zealand to be eligible for this visa. The visa can be extended to cover the entire duration of the course.
- Resident Visa: Travelers could be eligible to apply for a resident visa which allows them to permanently stay and work in the country.