For Nigerian citizens going to Bulgaria to visit the historical sites, on a holiday trip, for academic purposes, or to seek greener pastures, a Bulgarian visa will be required. The small European country is a hot spot for all kinds of migrants and visitors, however, getting a visa to the country won’t be that difficult.
General Bulgaria Visa Requirements for Nigerians
When submitting a Bulgaria visa application, you must have several required documents, such as:
- Bulgaria visa application form, completed in typed letters and signed.
- Your passport/travel document (this should have at least two blank pages in order to affix the visa).
- Photocopies of the personal information page on your passport as well as any previous visas
- A recent passport-size picture of yourself set against a light-colored background with you facing forward with a neutral facial expression.
- You must provide a travel itinerary to show proof that you have a place to stay. A flight ticket will also be required.
- Proof of travel insurance of at least €30,000 for the duration of your stay. This should be able to cover any repatriation or medical emergency expenses.
- Hotel reservation, or proof of another form of accommodation.
- Proof regarding the purpose of travel.
- Proof of sufficient financial means to you need to have the finances to support yourself during your stay, such as bank statements. You will be required to make a minimum of €50 per day.
- You might be required to provide proof you’ve pre-paid accommodation or that someone in Bulgaria will provide you with accommodation while you’re staying in the country, such as a person or company/institution.
- Certificate of police clearance (if requested)
- The submitted documents have to be legalized
Bulgaria Business Visa Requirements
You will have to meet all the requirements for a travel visa alongside a few additional requirements to get a business visa to Bulgaria.
- Business Letter: You will have to provide the original business letter from the host company in Bulgaria explaining the purpose of the trip. The date of travel and guarantee of sufficient funds will also have to be included.
- Business invitation: if you have a business invitation letter, you will have to provide the letter from the sponsoring company in Bulgaria. The letter should be printed on the company letterhead stationery and addressed to “The Consulate of Bulgaria, Visa Section and signed by a senior manager or equivalent.
Bulgaria Tourist Visa Requirements
To apply for a tourist visa in Bulgaria, you will have to meet the following requirements.
Filled out and signed Bulgaria tourist visa application form
Original, signed Nigeria passport (should have at least 6 months of remaining validity)
- Passport Photo: 1 passport-style photo with a white background, taken within the last 6 months. If you’re unable to get this, you could choose to upload a photo to your order and request a visa application agency to print it along with your application
- Photocopies of the passport and ID card: The applicant must provide photocopies of the original passport and ID, including a copy of all visas (valid and expired)
- Visa application: Your visa application form should be filled out in block letters and signed.
- Itinerary: A copy of the round trip tickets or confirmed itinerary
- Medical travel insurance: You will be required to provide proof of minimum coverage of € 30,000 and show that it is valid for all Schengen states.
- Bank Statement: Copy of a recent bank statement that shows proof of sufficient funds (you should be able to make at least $60 a day before considering for visa)
- Employment Letter: A letter from your employer/school (this should be done on business letterhead with contact details) stating that a leave of absence has been granted and that you will be returning to your current job. If you’re self-employed, you will have to provide a copy of your business license and tax return. If you are retired, you will be required to provide proof of your retirement fund.
- Hotel Reservations: Copy of a confirmed hotel reservations
- Personal Invitation: If you’re visiting your family or friends, you must provide a letter of invitation with the contact information of the host and visitor, purpose, and duration of the visit. You will also have to provide confirmation of accommodation including the address, signature, and date. More information required includes proof of the host’s status in Bulgaria i.e. copy of their Bulgaria’s passport’s information page. If they are not a citizen of Bulgaria, you will have to provide copies of their Bulgaria resident permit and their national passport’s information pages.
- Host’s Bank Statement: if you will be receiving financial support from your host or sponsor in Bulgaria, you will have to provide a copy of that individual’s bank statement. The invitation letter from the host should also state the type of support you will be rendered.
How to Apply for a Bulgarian Visa?
To obtain a Bulgarian visa, you will have to apply for the visa in person no earlier than 3 months in advance at a Bulgarian embassy.
- Download and complete the Bulgarian Visa application form on the official website
- Gather the required documents
- Submit the application form and the required documents at a Bulgarian embassy or consulate (if you’re applying for a child, you may have to submit the visa application yourself).
- You will be called back to submit your biometric information and await a reply on your visa application.
How Long Does it Take to Process a Bulgaria Visa:?
A Bulgarian visa will take about 10-15 working days to process but could be longer depending on certain circumstances.
Do I Have to Attend a Bulgarian Visa Interview?
The Bulgarian consulate or embassy might require that you enter a visa interview especially if you’re applying for a long-stay visa. They do also accept applications submitted through an authorized visa application agency.
Do Nigerian Citizens Need A Bulgaria Visa?
Yes. Nigerian citizens will require a Bulgaria visa to enter the country.