If you’re planning to travel to Spain, the first thing you’ll need is an international passport valid for 6 months from the date of your application.
Bear in mind that the Consulate General of Spain does not accept additional blank pages inserted into passports. So, if you don’t have any blank page left in your passport to which your visa can be affixed, you will need to get a new passport before applying for a Spanish visa.
How to apply for a Spanish visa
- Download both the English and Spanish visa application forms from these links: Download application form in English | Download application form in Spanish.
- Complete the forms appropriately, entering all the required details accurately.
- Make clear photocopies of all the original documents, any previous UK, US, Canada, Australia, Japan, and Schengen visa you hold, your passport data page (3 copies). You will submit both the original copies and the photocopies at the Spanish visa application centre.
- Visit the VFS Spain application centre along with your passport, visa, and all other documents (original copies and photocopies). The centre is located at Block 94, Plot 23, Providence Street, Lekki – Epe Expressway, Lekki Scheme 1, Lagos, Nigeria.
- At the centre, pay your visa processing fee and service fee at the GTBank implant teller counter.
- Submit your completed application form and documents at the centre. Bear in mind that submissions of visa applications is from 8.00am to 2.00pm on weekdays.
- Wait for up to 30 days for your visa to be processed. During this period, you can track your application by entering your Receipt Number and Date of Birth on the tracking page.
If your visa is approved, you can go back to the centre to collect it. The time for visa collection is 11.00am to 4.00pm. If you want someone else to collect your passport on your behalf, please request for an authority letter at the submission counter while submitting your document. Better yet you can download one (use this link) and take it to the VFS centre for endorsement during submission only. Note that only an authority letter endorsed and issued at the center will be accepted. If the letter is not produced in line with the described format, your passport will not be handed over to your representative.
Additional points to note:
- At the Spanish visa application centre, your biometrics will be collected as part of the submission process. Your facial image will be captured with a digital camera and your 10 fingers will be scanned with a fingerprint scanner. The whole process takes around 10 minutes.
- The visa or immigrations officer might invite you for a personal interview at the Consulate General of Spain before decision will be taken on your visa application. If you’re invited for an interview, the Visa application Center will help you set an appointment for it.