University of Jos, also known as Unijos is a Federal University located in Jos, Plateau State, central Nigeria. This article provides the complete list of courses and programmes offered in the institution, in addition to requirements for admission into the University of Jos.
General Admission Requirements into the University of Jos
UTME Entry Mode Requirements
Candidates seeking admission into the University of Jos via the United Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) must possess credit passes in five subjects at the Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE), conducted by WASCE, National Examination Council Examination (NECO), the General Certificate of Education(GCE) or its equivalent as recognized and approved by the university.
These five credit passes must include the subjects relevant to the proposed course of study. For example, admission into the faculty of sciences will include English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology or Agricultural Science and Physics.
Admission into the faculty of arts will require credit passes in subjects such as English language, Mathematics, Literature- in- English, Government, and any other arts-related subject
Admission into the Social sciences and management will require credit passes in subjects such as Accounting, Commerce, Economics and other related subjects.
Note: Admission into all faculties of the University requires passes in English language and Mathematics. Candidates must also have done well in the UTME JAMB scores for their applications to be considered.
Direct Entry Level Requirements into the University of Jos
- Candidates who have passes at the advanced level in the General Certificate of Education (GCE), IJMB or an approved equivalent examination in two or three of the subjects relevant to their proposed course of study are eligible.
- Candidates into the faculty of science must have passes in the following subjects: Chemistry and Biology or Chemistry and Botany/Zoology.
In addition, candidates into any course or programme of the university via direct entry must also meet the 5 credit passes in WASCE/NECO/GCE requirements listed above for candidates applying via UTME.
- Holders of National Diploma (ND) in courses related to the proposed course of study, obtained from institutions recognized and accepted by the University of Jos may also be considered for admission into 200 level. The candidate must have graduated with at least an upper credit and must also meet the O’ level requirements for candidates via UTME.
The faculties in the University of Jos and courses offered in each are listed below:
Faculty of Agriculture
- Agricultural Economics
- Animal Production
- Crop production
- The farm
Faculty of Arts
- History and International Studies
- Foreign languages
- Mass Communication
- Religion Philosophy
- Theater and Film Arts
- Linguistics and Nigerian Languages
- Archeology and Heritage Studies
College of Health sciences
- Faculty of Clinical Sciences
- Faculty of Health Sciences & Technology
- Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
- Faculty of Dental Health Sciences & Technology
Courses under the College of Health Sciences include:
Ear Nose and throat (ENT)
Hematology and Blood Transfusion
Medical Instructional and Technology Unit
Medical Laboratory Sciences
Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Traumatology and Traumatology
Faculty of Education
- Arts Education
- Educational Foundation
- Science and Technology Education
- Social Science Education
- Special Education and Rehabilitation Sciences
- Physical and Health Education
Faculty of Engineering
Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Faculty of Environmental Sciences
- Estate Management
- Geography and Planning
- Quantity Surveying
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Fine and Applied Arts
Faculty of Law
- Department of Commercial law
- Public law
- Private law
- International law and jurisprudence
Faculty of Management Sciences
- Department of Accounting
- Department of Actuarial Science
- Department of Banking and Finance
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Business Management
- Department of Insurance
- Department of Marketing
Faculty of Natural sciences
Plant Science and Technology
Science Laboratory Technology
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Biotechnology Pharmaceutics
- Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacy Practice
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Pharmaceutical Microbiology
- Pharmaceutical Technology and Industrial Pharmacy
- Pharmacognosy and Traditional Medicine
Faculty of Social Sciences
- Political Science
Theriogeniology and Production
Department of Veterinary Anatomy
Department of Veterinary Microbiology and Pathology
Department of Veterinary Parasitology and Entomology
Department of Veterinary Physiology, Biochemistry and Pharmacology
Department of Veterinary Public Health and Preventive Medicine
History of the University of Jos
The University of Jos was founded in 1975, however, what is today known as the University of Jos actually began in November 1971 as a satellite campus of the University of Ibadan. The University of Jos is a public higher education institution located in the urban city, Jos in Plateau State. The institution is officially accredited and recognized by the National Universities Commission, Nigeria and now has an enrolment range of 20,000-24,999 students.
The first Bachelor of Arts degree program began in October 1973 while its first students were admitted in January 1972. In October 1975, the then military government under General Murtala Mohammed de-established the university and declared it as a separate institution.
The first Vice-Chancellor of the University of Jos was Professor Gilbert Onuaguluchi. Classes began at the newly organized and recognized institution in October 1976 with 575 students spread across four faculties which were: the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Education, Natural Sciences and Medical Sciences.
Post-graduate programs were later added in 1977. The faculties of Law and Environmental Sciences were established in 1978 while the Faculties of Arts and Social Sciences were separated.
University of Jos (UNIJOS) offers courses and programmes leading to officially recognized higher education degrees such as Pre-bachelor degrees, that is Diplomas, Certificates, Associate or Foundation degrees; Bachelor degrees, Master degrees and doctorate degrees in several courses of study.
Unijos has been making progress and in 2003, the Carnegie Corporation of New York gave the institution a $2 million grant to form its own fundraising department.
Contact Address of the University of Jos
University of Jos, P.M.B. 2084 Jos,
Plateau State, Nigeria