Founded in 1948, the University of Ibadan (UI) is highly-sought-after when it comes to post graduate (PG) education. Currently, the University’s postgraduate students comprise 40% of its annual enrolment.
In this post, we’ve compiled a list of the admission requirements for the postgraduate courses offered by the University of Ibadan.
- Candidates for admission to higher degree programmes must be graduates of the University of Ibadan or other Universities/Institutions recognised by the Senate.
- Admission is based on the recommendation of the appropriate Faculty Postgraduate Committee.
- Candidates without any previous higher degrees in the relevant discipline may be admitted only to either the Degree of Master or the Professional Degree of Master.
- Candidates with recognised Research Higher Degree in the relevant discipline may be admitted to the M.Phil or Ph.D. degree programmes as appropriate, on the recommendation of the appropriate Faculty Postgraduate Committee.
- Admission is full time, part time or occasional. The grades of these candidates must satisfy the minimum entry requirements for a higher degree programme
However, it is important to note that occassional students will not be awarded a degree from the University of Ibadan.
Available Research Degree Programmes
These programmes include
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D),
- Master of Philosophy (M.Phil),
- Master of Public Health (M.P.H.),
- Degree of Master (M.A., M.Sc., M.Ed, LL.M).
These are available in the following faculties and disciplines:
- Islamic Studies;
- Arabic & Islamic Studies;
- English (Literature & Language);
- Communication & Language Arts;
- Linguistics & African Languages;
- Nigeria Languages (Yoruba);
- French Studies,
- Comparative Literature,
- Cultural Studies,
- European Studies;
- Religious Studies; and
- Theatre Arts
- Industrial Chemistry;
- Computer Science;
- Geography (Physical);
- Statistics; and
- Basic Medical Sciences
- Chemical Pathology;
- Pharmacology & Therapeutics;
- Physiology; and
- Clinical Sciences
- Physiotherapy; and Surgery.
- Community Health,
- Occupational Health,
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
(d) Public Health
- Epidemiology and Medical Statistics;
- Field Epidemiology;
- Environmental Health;
- Human Nutrition;
- Medical Demography;
- Health Promotion and Education;
- Population and Reproductive Health Education,
- Reproductive and Family Health,
- Health Policy and Management,
- Health Services Administration,
- Institute of Child Health.
- Pharmaceutics and Industrial Pharmacy;
- Pharmaceutical Microbiology;
- Clinical Pharmacy;
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry;
Agriculture and Forestry
- Crop Protection and Environmental Biology;
- Agricultural Economics;
- Agricultural Extension and Rural Development;
- Agricultural Extension;
- Rural Sociology;
- Rural Communication;
- Home Economics;
- Animal Science;
- Forest Resources Management;
- Wildlife Management and Fisheries Management;
- Agricultural Biochemistry and Nutrition.
- Geography (Human);
- Political Science;
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Adult Education;
- Literacy Training and Development;
- Educational Management;
- Guidance and Counselling;
- Counselling Psychology;
- Special Education;
- Library, Archival & Information Studies;
- Human Kinetics & Health Education;
- Teacher Education;
- School Media: Media Resource Management
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Veterinary Anatomy;
- Veterinary Medicine;
- Tropical Veterinary Medicine;
- Veterinary Microbiology;
- Veterinary Parasitology;
- Veterinary Pathology;
- Veterinary Physiology;
- Veterinary Pharmacology;
- Veterinary Surgery, Veterinary Reproduction;
- Veterinary Public Health & Preventive Medicine
The M.Sc. Veterinary Microbiology runs for two sessions.
- Agricultural and Environmental Engineering;
- Wood Products Engineering;
- Food Technology;
- Industrial & Production Engineering;
- Petroleum Engineering;
- Civil Engineering;
- Mechanical Engineering;
- Electrical/ Electronics Engineering
- For candidates that don’t have a first degree in Agricultural Engineering, these candidates will be required to spend an additional two semesters on the programme.
- For candidates that don’t have a first degree in Industrial Engineering, they will also be required to spend an additional semester on the programme.
- Sc. Mechanical Engineering is a three semesters full-time or six semesters part-time programme.
Faculty of Law
Master of Law (LL.M) Programme is conducted on an interdepartmental basis.
- Admission is open to any holder of Bachelor’s Degree in Law of University of Ibadan or of other approved Universities recognized by the Senate.
- Applicants must satisfy the O’Level first degree matriculation requirements of the University of Ibadan i.e. O’Level Credit passes in 5 subjects at not more than 2 sittings including merit or credit in English Literature.
- Candidates may be required to undergo a selection/interview process prior to their admission.
Institute of African Studies (M.A., M.Phil and Ph.D)
- Religion and Belief System;
- African Music;
- Dance Studies;
- Visual Arts;
- African Law;
- Peace and Conflict Studies
- Candidates to be admitted for the M.A. Programme should possess at least a good honours degree in, humanities, social sciences, law and other cognate disciplines. Preference shall be given to candidates doing related jobs in Government Parastatals industry and Security Services.
- Also, application must satisfy the ‘O’ Level/First degree matriculation requirements of the University of Ibadan i.e ‘O/Level credit passes in 5 subjects at not more than 2 sittings including English Language and 4 other relevant matriculation subjects.
- The duration of the Masters Programme is 3 semesters for full-time students
There are 14 Postgraduate Diploma courses available in the following Faculties
Faculty of Arts
- Theatre Arts
Faculty of Science
- Postgraduate Diploma in Radiation Protection
Faculty of Clinical Sciences
Faculty of Education
- G.D.E. Professional Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching in Higher Education (P.G.D.T.H.E.) in the Department of Teacher Education
- Postgraduate Diploma in Social Work (Part-Time and FullTime) in the Department of Social Work Institute of Education Part-Time P.G.D.E
Faculty of Pharmacy
- Pharmacy Postgraduate Diploma in Drug Analysis in the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Agriculture and Forestry
- Postgraduate Diploma in Biodiversity Management in the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Management,
- Diploma in Agricultural Extension
- Veterinary Medicine;
- Veterinary Radiology;
- Veterinary Anaesthesiology; all these in the Department of Veterinary Surgery and Reproduction
Institute of Child Health
- Professional PGD in Child Health
Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Postgraduate Diploma in Population and Reproductive Health (PGD POP RH).
If you’re interested in applying to the University of Ibadan for your postgraduate education, you can start right away. The application forms cost N10750 for academic programmes and N15750 for professional programmes.
Usually, the application forms are available between January and April every year. You can visit the PG website for more information. Also, we’ve compiled a list of guidelines to help you during the course of your application
- All application forms must be completed and returned to: The Admissions Officer, Postgraduate School, University of Ibadan.
- Incomplete information may affect the candidate’s admission chances
- Applicants are strongly advised to start processing their applications early in order to leave enough room for postal and other delays. A time lag of 2 to 3 weeks is usually required for the movement of mail to Nigeria from destinations outside Africa, and vice-versa.
- Candidates are required to ensure that their referees outside Nigeria forward their reports to the Postgraduate School at least 4 weeks before the stipulated deadline.
- The applicant’s full name and proposed course of study should appear on every document submitted, and especially on items that may arrive under separate confidential cover.
- A candidate may apply to only one department or programme.
- The Personal Information Card which is the basis of all records on applications received must be legible and complete.
- Foreign applicants are expected to have bachelor’s degree with at least a Second Class Upper Division from Universities recognised by the Senate.
- Applicants who are considered for admission but cannot demonstrate proof of adequate proficiency may be required, to complete a course of instruction in English, prior to the beginning of their respective programmes.
- Academic records are also examined to determine whether the applicant has established a firm basis for graduate work in the proposed field of study.
- Letters of recommendation or Referee’s Reports are extremely important and absence of these documents could jeopardize the candidate’s admission chances.
- Interviews may be required for some programmes. This will be arranged by the Postgraduate School’s Admission Office in collaboration with the relevant departments.
- The Postgraduate School does not entertain deferment of admissions. Any offer of admission not taken up in the particular year it is given, may be considered to have lapsed.
18M+ of FBS traders made money work for them. Start trading too with FBS, a trusted broker for 12 years. Dive into the market easily with a no-deposit $50 Bonus (available for Nigeria) and turn a free $50 into real profit up to $500! Trade Forex, crypto, stocks, & more assets. Start earning now!