University of Lagos (UNILAG) was founded in 1962. The school has remained one of the most competitive in the country in terms of admissions. The institution has three campuses in both Yaba and Surulere with its main campus in Akoka and the college of medicine is located in Idi-Araba, Surulere. In addition, the school has two centers, namely, the Centre for Human Rights and the Centre for African Regional Integration and Borderland Studies.
The University of Lagos was founded in 1962 and has become one of the foremost tertiary institutions in the country providing quality and research-oriented education to Nigerians. This article provides information on the admission requirements for undergraduate studies in the University of Lagos; UME entry requirements, direct entry-level requirement and other information necessary on the school.
University of Lagos (UNILAG) currently has twelve Faculties which are:
- Basic medical sciences
- Business administration
- Clinical sciences
- Dental sciences
- Environmental sciences
- Social sciences
UNILAG also offers Masters and Doctorate degrees in most of the programmes mentioned above.
General requirements for undergraduate admission into the University of Lagos
The JAMB cut-off mark for the University of Lagos is 200. A candidate must make a minimum score of 200 at the UTME for eligibility to apply at the Post UTME. However, the Post UTME score is what determines the candidate’s chances of gaining admission. Only candidates who have made the University of Lagos their first choice in the JAMB UTME form and scored 200 or above are eligible for post UTME screening.
In addition, candidates must possess at least five credit passes compulsorily in English language and Mathematics for any course or program and other O’ level subjects. The result must be obtained at one sitting.
Only candidates, who are sixteen (16) years of age by the date of resumption are eligible to apply for admission into the University of Lagos.
Specific Admission Requirements for Undergraduate school
Each of the departments and each of the courses offered in UNILAG have their specific requirements for candidates aspiring to study at the University. The University of Lagos has two major types of cut-off marks which are the JAMB cut-off mark and the departmental cut-off mark.
These requirements are made available by the management of the school.
Specific Admission Requirements for Faculty of Arts, Social Sciences and Management Sciences.
- Candidates of faculty of Arts
Candidates who wish to gain admission must have at least 5 credits in WAEC/NECO/GCE or its equivalent in the following subjects: Mathematics, English, and Literature in English, Government, Economics, and Biology. The result must be obtained in not more than 2 sittings and can be combined. Both results, such as WAEC and NECO but must not be more than 2 years apart.
- Candidates of faculty of Social Science and Management Science
Candidates who wish to gain admission into the faculty of Social science and Management Science must possess at least 5 credits in WAEC/NECO/GCE or its equivalent in the following subjects: Mathematics, English, Economics, Accounting, and Biology. The result must be obtained in not more than 2 sittings. The results, for example, WAEC and NECO can both be combined for the admission process but must not be more than 2 years apart.
Candidate to the faculty of Social science and Management science must make at least 200 pass mark in JAMB to qualify for internal screening by the University of Lagos
Admission Requirements for Science and Engineering Students.
- Candidates for admission into the faculty of Science and Engineering must make at least 5 Credits in WAEC/NECO/GCE or its equivalent in the following subjects: Mathematics, English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Technical drawing (essential for Engineering Students). The result can be combined and must be obtained in not more than 2 sittings. These combined results i.e. WAEC and NECO must not be more than 2 years apart.
The candidate must make at least a score of 200 in JAMB in order to qualify for Post UTME of the University of Lagos.
Below is a list of courses and programs offered presently in the University of Lagos
- Industrial relations and personnel management
- Business Administration
- Actuarial Science
- Faculty of Arts and Humanities.
- Linguistics With Igbo And Yoruba
- History And Strategic Studies
- English Language
- Creative Arts
- Chinese Studies
- Faculty of Education
- Technical Education
- Human Kinetics
- Home Economics And Education
- Guidance & Counseling
- Educational Administration
- Education and Integrated Sciences
- Education and Igbo
- Education and History
- Education and Geography
- Education and French
- Education and English Language
- Education and Chemistry
- Education and Biology
- Education & Yoruba
- Education & Physics
- Education & Mathematics
- Education & Islamic Studies
- Education & Economics
- Education & Christian Religious Studies
- Early Childhood Education
- Business Education
- Adult Education.
- Urban And Regional Planning
- Systems Engineering
- Surveying and Geoinformation
- Quantity Surveying
- Petroleum and Gas Engineering
- Metallurgical and Material Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Estate Management
- Electrical/Electronic Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Faculty of Law/Legal Studies
- Faculty of Medicine/Pharmacy/Health Sciences
- Dentistry and Dental Surgery
- Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Medicine and Surgery
- Nursing/Nursing sciences
Faculty of Sciences
Programs under the faculty of Science include :
- Marine Biology
- Computer Sciences
- Cell Biology & Genetics
- Faculty of Social sciences
- Social Work
- Political Sciences
- Mass Communication
The Distance Learning Institute (DLI) of the University also offers courses in Accounting, Business Administration, Science Education and Library / Information Sciences.