The National Teachers’ Institute is located in Kaduna and was established in 1976. This was primarily in response to the pressing need to have more trained and qualified teachers at all levels of the educational system in the country.
The institute was set up and charged with the responsibility of providing courses and training leading to development, upgrade and certification of teachers using Distance Education Techniques. This article provides information on the programmes offered by the institute and admission requirements for applicants. Read on below:
Bachelors Degree Programme (BDP)
Each course in the Bachelor’s degree programme runs for two semesters per year and altogether, for a period of three to four years and a maximum of six to eight calendar years. This all depends on the entry qualifications of the candidates.
Candidates applying for a Bachelors’s degree programme in The National Teachers Institute must possess any of the following qualifications.
- Merit pass or (C) grade in Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) in addition to meeting the minimum UTME requirements. Candidates who are admitted via this mode will spend a minimum of 3 years.
- A pass grade lower than (C) grade in Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) but with a minimum of 5 years teaching experience. This is in addition to the minimum UTME requirements. Candidates who are admitted via this mode will spend a minimum of 4 years.
- An upper credit in National Diploma from an accredited institution and in areas relevant to the proposed course of study. Candidates who are admitted via this mode will spend a minimum of 3 years.
Additional entry requirements for the Bachelor’s degree program
- Candidates who wish to study for a B.Sc. Ed must have in addition to English and Mathematics, at least a credit in Physics, Chemistry or Biology.
- Candidates who wish to study English as a main teaching subject must have a credit in Literature in English in addition to a credit in the English Language in the Teacher Grade II Certificate (TC II).
- All candidates to any course under the program must have met the minimum UTME requirements for programmes they intend to offer.
Courses offered under the Bachelor’s degree program
Candidates can study from any of the underlisted options below:
- B.A. Ed (Primary)
- B.A. Ed (Social Studies)
- B.A. Ed (English)
- B.Sc. Ed (Mathematics)
- B.Sc. Ed (Integrated Science)
- B.Sc. Ed(Physical and Health Education)
N.C.E entry requirements
Students applying via NCE must have met the main requirement of five credits passes in any of the following certificates listed below. One of the five credit passes must be in the subject the candidate intends to make his/her chosen teaching subject.
- Grade II Teachers’ Certificate (TC-II)
- Pivotal Teachers’ Certificate (PTC)
- West African School Certificate (WASC)
- National Examination Council (NECO-SSCE)
- General Certificate Examination (GCE)
- National Business and Technical Examination Board (NABTEB) Certificate
- Higher Islamic Studies Certificate (HISC)
However, those with five (5) years of teaching experience but who do not have the required number of credit passes mentioned above can still be considered.
What is the Advanced Diploma Program
Although the National Policy on Education prescribes that NCE Certificate is the minimum qualification for all teachers in Nigerian schools, NCE holders still need to upgrade their knowledge and specialize in a field in education. These fields could include School Supervision and Inspection, Early Childhood Education, Guidance & Counselling etc.
This is why the Advanced Diploma is set up, for those who have an OND certificate (equivalent to NCE) but in non-education fields.
Advance diploma entry requirements
Candidates who wish to apply for an Advanced Diploma must have an NCE Certificate from a recognized and accredited College of Education. Those who are already teachers with ND certificate from any recognized Polytechnic or Colleges of Agric can also be considered for any of the Advanced Diploma Programmes.
Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)
The Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) is set up for graduates of other disciplines who do not have a professional teaching qualification but are interested in teaching or are already doing so.
Candidates who wish to be admitted for this program must have a first degree (BA/B.Sc), Higher National Diploma (HND) or the equivalent of these in the fields of languages, social sciences, basic sciences or other related disciplines. He/she must have graduated with the minimum of a 2nd Class Lower Division. The candidate must have also met the UTME requirements.
Duration of the programme
The Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) is set up to last for 15 calendar months. 12 calendar months is used for course work and three months for a supervised internship in schools or colleges.
Advanced Diploma in Environmental Education ADEE
Applicants who wish to be admitted for an Advanced Diploma in Environmental Education programme must have the minimum requirements of a Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE), a Diploma in Environmental Studies or any of its equivalents. In addition to this, a candidate must satisfy the UTME minimum requirements.
Duration of the Programme
The Advanced Diploma in Environmental Education ADEE is set up to run for 12 calendar months comprising of two semesters.
Pivotal Teacher Training Programme (PTTP)
Eligible candidates should have any of the following qualification (s);
- A minimum of two credits and three passes in WAEC/NECO/GCE/NABTEB or their equivalent
- TC II referred
- PTC referred
- HIS Certificate
- Any other similar qualifications acceptable to the school and equivalent to any mentioned above.
The Pivotal Teacher Training Programme (PTTP) runs for 12 (twelve) calendar months. The program consists of contact sessions, supervised teaching practice of 8 weeks, continuous assessment for two semesters and final examinations.
How to apply for an NTI Programme
Go the NTI website
Click Fresh Applications
Fill the form
Please note that only payments made against RRR Codes generated via the institute’s portal would be accepted.
Make payment at the bank or online
Complete your application