Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) is one of the Federal Government Universities in the country.
The university began full operation in 1962, on the sites of the defunct Nigerian College of Arts, Science and Technology (NCAST); the Clerical Training Centre, Kongo; the Samaru Agricultural Research Station and the Shika Livestock Farm.
List of Science Courses Offered in ABU Zaria
Ahmadu Bello University began with the faculties of Agriculture, Engineering, Law and Sciences, fifteen academic departments and 426 students.
The University has grown rapidly over the last few decades transforming it to one of the largest and the most extensive of all the universities in Sub-Saharan Africa.
The University has 82 Academic Departments, 12 Faculties, and 12 Research Institutes and Specialized Centres. Additionally, the school has 5 Institutes, 6 Specialized Centers, a Division of Agricultural Colleges, a School of Basic and Remedial Studies, a Demonstration Secondary School, a Primary School and a Consultancy Outfit which provides a variety of services to the University and the wider society.
ABU offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses in such diverse fields as Agriculture, Public and Business Administration, Engineering, Environmental Design, Education, Biological and Physical Sciences, Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, the Humanities, Law and Social Sciences.
The total student enrolment in the University’s degree and sub-degree programmes is about 35,000, drawn from every State of the Federation, Africa and the rest of the world.
Currently, the University has about 1,400 academic and research staff and over 6000 non-teaching, senior and junior administrative staff.
The University has also nurtured two University Colleges: the Abdullahi Bayero College (now Bayero University), Kano and the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa College (now Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University of Technology), Bauchi, while 27 institutions made up of Colleges of Education, Polytechnics and Schools of Basic or Preliminary Studies are currently affiliated to it.
ABU has two campuses which are SAMARU and Kongo. The Samaru Campus is the main campus and it contains the following faculties
Below is a list of the courses available for enrollment at Ahamdu Bello University.
- Business Administration
- L G & Development Studies
- Public Administration
- Agric Econs& Rural Sociology
- Animal Science
- Crop Protection
- Plant Science
- Soil Science
- African Languages and Cultures
- Theatre & Performing Art
- Arts and Social Science Education
- Educational Foundation & Curriculum
- Educational Psychology & Counselling
- Library and Information Science
- Physical and Health Education
- Science Education
- Vocational and Technical Education
- Agricultural Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Water Resources & Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Design
- Fine Arts
- Industrial Design
- Quantity Surveying
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Civil Law
- Commercial Law
- Private Law
- Public Law
- Sharia Law
- Chemical Pathology
- Community Medicine
- Dental Surgery
- Hematology and Blood Transfusion
- Human Anatomy
- Human Physiology
- Medical Microbiology
- Nursing Science
- Obsterics and Gynecology
- Pathology (Morbid Anatomy)
- Traumatic and Orthopeadic Surgery
- Clinical Pharmacy & Pharmacy Practice
- Pharmaceutical & Medicinal Chemistry
- Pharmaceutics & Pharmaceutical Microbiology
- Pharmacognosy & Drug Development
- Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Biological Sciences
- Textile Science & Technology
- Mass Communication
- Political Science
- Theriogenology and Production
- Veterinary Anatomy
- Veterinary Medicine
- Veterinary Parasitology and Entomology
- Veterinary Pathology and Microbiology
- Veterinary Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Veterinary Physiology
- Veterinary Public Health and Preventive Medicine
- Veterinary Surgery and Medicine