Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike (MOUAU) was formerly known as the Federal University of Agriculture, Umudike.
The university was established as a specialized University by the Federal Government of Nigeria via Decree No 48 of 2nd November 1992 and it began formal activities on May 1993 with the appointment of the first Council and Vice-Chancellor, Professor Placid C. Njoku on 27th May 1993.
List of Science Courses in MOUAU
In this post, we have highlighted the science courses offered by MOUAU. But first, let’s take a look at a brief profile of the school.
MOUAU is situated in the Agricultural Training and Research town of Umudike which is about 9 kilometers from Umuahia town, the capital of Abia State.
The first set of students was admitted into the institution during the 1993/94 academic year with a student population of 82.
As a specialized tertiary institution, MOUAU impact the understanding of the processes that relate to the biophysical, biochemical and socioeconomic components of the environment, and how these processes can be harnessed for the production of food and fibre to meet human needs without the degradation of the natural environment.
The vision of the university is to serve the people of Nigeria and the world through education, manpower development and quality research aimed at the development of technologies that will overcome major constraints to agricultural production. The University strives to achieve this through a range of activities carried out in its undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
MOUAU is endowed with highly qualified manpower and the major resource for agricultural development – Land. It, therefore, has unlimited scope for development to achieve its vision of Knowledge, Food and Security.
The University has expansive land in Umudike as well as in Uzuakoli, Olokoro, and Ibeku. Recognizing the University’s cordial relationship with her surrounding communities as well as her local farmer-oriented programmes, the prospect for acquiring more land is unlimited since these communities are willing to donate more land for development and research.
The nickname “Umudykes” or “U’dykers” refers to students, alumni, and sports teams of Michael Okpara University of Agriculture.
Below is the list of the Faculties in MOUAU
- College of Agricultural & Science Education
- College of Agric Economics, Rural Sociology & Extension
- College of Animal Science& Animal Production
- College of Applied Food Science and Tourism
- College of Crop & Soil Science
- College of Engineering and Engineering Technology
- College of General Studies & Communications (CGSC)
We have also highlighted the science-based faculties and the courses they offer.
College of Agric Economics, Rural Sociology & Extension
- Agribusiness Management
- Agricultural Economics
- Agricultural Extension & Rural Sociology
College of Animal Science &Animal Production
- Animal Breeding &Physiology
- Animal Nutrition &Forage Science
- Animal Production& Livestock Management
College of Applied Food Science and Tourism
- Food Science & Technology
- Home Economics
- Hotel Management & Tourism
- Human Nutrition & Dietetics
College of Crop & Soil Science
- Plant Health Management
- Soil Science and Meteorology
College of Engineering & Engineering Technology
- Agricultural & Bio-resources Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
College of General Studies & Communications (CGSC)
- English Language
- French Language
- Social Science
- History and Philosophy of Science
- Philosophy and Logic
- Peace and Conflict Studies
- German Language
- Nigeria History
- Health and Physical Education