This article provides a complete list of courses and programmes offered in the prestigious Benue State University. In addition to this is a list of requirements for each programme.
Benue State University Courses & Requirements
Faculty of Education
Departments under this faculty include:
- Department of Vocational and Technical Education- B.Sc. (Ed) Technology
Below is a list of areas of specialization under the department:
- Automobile technology
- Building Construction Technology
- Electrical Technology
- Electronics Technology
- Mechanical Production Technology
- Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning
- Woodwork Technology
A minimum of five (5) credit passes in relevant O’ level subjects at WAEC (Tech), NTC/NBC and any of Teachers grade II (TC II) or Federal Craft Training Certificate. This result must be obtained at not more than two sittings to include English Language, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry
Direct Entry Applicants
Candidates applying via Direct Entry into 200 level must have obtained at least an upper credit in ND from any recognized institution, or merit in IJMB, NCE, or ‘A’ Level subjects in addition to credit passes in relevant O’ level subjects.
Preliminary (Pre-Degree) candidates must be from Benue State University only. Such must have at least a ‘C’ grade in English Language, Physics, Mathematics or Chemistry. A pass in Technical drawing is a must for those in Technical Education option.
The department of Curriculum and Teaching
This department in conjunction with other Departments in the University offers ten programmes. These are:
B.A Ed English
B.A Ed History
B.A Ed Religion and Philosophy
B.A Ed French
B.Sc. Ed. Economics
B.Ed. Integrated Science
- Sc. Ed. Biology
- Sc. Ed. Chemistry
- Sc. Ed. Physics
- Sc. Ed. Mathematics.
Applicants for B. A. Ed. (English) must have obtained a pass of GCE O’ level or its equivalent in Mathematics and English Literature.
Applicants for B. Ed Integrated Science must have a pass in Mathematics at GCE O’ level or its equivalent.
Applicants for B.Sc. Ed (in Biology, Physics, Chemistry, or Mathematics) must have a credit pass at GCE O’ level or its equivalent in Mathematics and other relevant subjects
Note: A credit pass at GCE O’ level or its equivalent is required in English Language for all applicants into any of the courses (Direct or UTME entry)
- A pass in a relevant NCE minor subject is acceptable as equivalent to GCE O’ Level credit.
- A pass in Teachers’ Grade II Arithmetic is acceptable as equivalent to a pass in Mathematics.
Department of Educational Foundation:
- Sc. (Ed) Physical and Health Education
- Pre-primary/ Primary Education which has the following sub-courses:
Pre-Primary/Primary Education Social Studies
Pre-primary/ Primary Educatiom- English
Pre- primary/ Primary Education- Mathematics
Pre-primary/Primary Education- Sciences
Credit passes at SSCE/GCE O’ level or its equivalent in five subjects including English Language and at least a pass in Mathematics
Grade II Teachers Certificate must have credit/merit passes in five subjects to include the English language with at least a pass in Mathematics
Direct Entry Applicants:
Two A’ Level passes at GCE or its equivalent in relevant subjects in addition to three credit passes in SSCE/GCE O’ level subjects at SSCE or its equivalent. This result must be obtained at not more than two sittings with at least a pass in Mathematics or three A’ level passes in relevant subjects in addition to two SSCE/GCE O’ level passes.
Two NCE major passes in relevant subjects in addition to O’ level credit passes in three other subjects with at least a pass in Mathematics at SSCE/GCE, TC II merit or its equivalent.
A merit pass in a relevant Diploma programme of any recognized institution of higher learning. This is in addition to credit passes at GCE O’ level requirements and at least a pass in O’ level Mathematics
Department of Human Kinetics- B.SC. (ED.) PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
- Direct Entry (DE) candidates must have obtained two ‘A’ level passes in either Biology, Chemistry or Physics
- NCE with at least two credits and a merit pass in Physical and Health Education.
- (UTME) candidates must have obtained at least five ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language and Biology/Chemistry/Physics at GCE, SSCE or NECO.
- Holders of Diploma Certificate in Physical and Health Education can apply having obtained a minimum of upper credit pass in addition to five ‘O’ level credit passes to include English Language and Biology.
Faculty of Arts
Department of English
UTME candidates must obtain five (5) O’ level credit passes to include English Language, Literature in English and three (3) other Arts and Social Science subjects
TC II at Merit level is accepted as equivalent to SSCE/GCE O’ level credits.
Direct Entry candidates must possess two A’ level passes to include English Language and Literature in English in addition to three O’ level credit passes in other subjects or alternatively, three A ‘level passes and two O’ level passes in other Subjects
· Department of History
Applicants via direct entry with two ‘A’ level passes or NCE (Upper Credit) in History, Government and any other related subject are eligible
Candidates with a diploma in International Affairs/Strategic Studies, Nigerian Cultural Studies, or any other related discipline at the Upper Credit are eligible
Candidates must have obtained five ‘O’ level credits to include Government or History.
Department of Languages & Linguistics
B.A. (HONS) FRENCH PROGRAMME
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS: B.A. (FRENCH)
- Candidates for the B.A. (French) programme must have obtained at least five credits. These must include French and English Language in addition to any other three credits at SSCE level or its equivalent
- Candidates with at least two A level passes in the English language are eligible
The following categories of students upon meeting the requirements stated are eligible for a three-year degree course in French
- Candidates with at least two A’ level passes, one of which must be in English or French language in addition to meeting the requirements of five credit passes in O’ level subjects are eligible.
- Candidates with two credit pass at NCE in French language are eligible
- Candidates with equivalent qualifications from Francophone institutions and with at least a credit pass in English at O’ level
- Candidates with good passes and merits in the Proficiency Diploma in French offered by the Department are eligible.
Department of Religion & Philosophy
Programmes under this department include:
- The Bachelor of Arts (B.A) Degree in Religion and Philosophy
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A) Degree in Religions Studies
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A. Degree in Philosophy)
The Department admits for two different duration of the programme: a four-year degree programme and a three-year degree programme.
For a 4-Year degree programme
Candidates who wish to apply for this category must have five credits to include the English language, at the SSCE, NECO or its equivalent. This result must be obtained in not more than two sittings in addition to meeting the requirements of the University in UME examination.
For a 3-year degree programme
Candidates who wish to be admitted for this category must possess the following qualifications;
- Five credit passes in General Certificate of Education (GCE), with two of these passes in the advanced level to include Christian Religious Studies, African religion or any of its equivalent.
- A pass in two major subjects in the National Certificate of Education (NCE) in addition to passes in three O’ level subjects at GCE to include English language and a General paper.
- A three or two-year diploma in Theology, Philosophy and Religious Studies in any Institution of higher learning, recognized by the University, in addition to five credits at GCE O’ Level which must include English language
Theatre Arts Department
Theatre Arts department runs a four-year degree programme. Candidates who wish to apply to the department must possess five credit passes at Senior Secondary or General Certificate of Education or its equivalent which must include English Language and Literature in English. In addition to this, candidates are required to meet the cut off marks for the UTME examination as determined by the University.
DIRECT ENTRY (3 YEARS)
Candidates seeking admission through Direct Entry must possess five credit passes with three of these being Advanced Level. These passes will not be counted at both levels of the examinations
Candidates who have obtained credits in three O’ level subjects to include English Language and Literature-in-English at the SSCE and GCE examinations and who also have a Diploma in Theatre Arts with the following results are eligible:
A distinction, an upper credit or a lower credit pass from Benue State University or any other recognized institution of higher learning
NOTE: Candidates with Diploma in Theatre Arts may be admitted without a pass in O’ Level Literature-in-English.
Faculty of Management Sciences
Department of Accounting
- Ordinary level credit passes in five O’ level subjects to include English language, Mathematics, Economics at SSCE or GCE. The result must be obtained at not more than two sittings
- Grade II Teacher’s Certificate with credit/merit passes in at least five subjects to include English language, Mathematics and Economics and any other relevant subject.
- Meeting the cut off mark in the UTME as determined by the University.
Direct Entry Applicants
Applicants via direct entry must possess:
- Five credit passes in GCE or its equivalent, obtained at not more than two sittings, in addition to at least two passes at the Advanced (‘A’) level i.e GCE./I.J.M.B.E
- Five credit passes in relevant subjects to include English language, Mathematics and Economics, obtained at one sitting and Diploma with the minimum result of lower credit in any recognized University
Note that in both cases above, no subject is counted at both levels of the examination. English language, Economics and Mathematics are also mandatory
Department of Business Management
- Candidates who wish to apply via UTME must have ordinary level credit passes in five subjects to include English language, Mathematics and Economics at SSCE, GCE or its equivalent
- Grade II Teacher’s Certificate with credit or merit passes in at least five subjects, to include English language, Mathematics and Economics.
- An acceptable score in the UTME examination as defined by the University.
Direct Entry Applicants:
Applicants via direct entry must possess the following minimum qualifications:
- Five credit passes in GCE, SSCE or its equivalent. This result must be obtained at not more than two sittings with at least two passes at the Advanced A’ level GCE.
- Five credit passes in GCE, SSCE or its equivalent with at least three of which must be at the ‘A’ level.
Note: No subject is counted at both levels of the examination in both cases above
- An acceptable Credit pass in Benue State University Diploma in the relevant field as may be defined by the University from time to time, in addition to GCE ‘O’ Level or its equivalent in English Language, Economics and Mathematics.
Faculty of Science
Department of Chemistry
Department of Biological Science– This department offers four-degree programs, which are:
B.Sc. (Hons)- Biology
B.Sc. (Hons)- Microbiology
B.Sc. (Hons)- Plant Science and Biotechnology
B.Sc. (Hons)- Zoology and Environmental Biology
Candidates seeking admission via UTME into the 4 years degree programme in the Department must have obtained a minimum of:
- The acceptable pass mark in University Matriculation Examination (UME) as determined by the University
- Five (5) credit level passes in the following subjects: Mathematics, English language, Chemistry, Biology and any other subject as determined by the faculty of Science at SSCE, WASSCE, NECO. This result must be obtained at not more than two sittings
- Passes in all the five (5) subjects required in the Preliminary Studies Programme of the Benue state University at one sitting.
Candidates are required to have passes in at least two A’ level subjects or its equivalent to include one relevant subject related to Biology such as Biology, Botany or Zoology. Chemistry is also required.
Department of Physics
- Candidates must have five (5) relevant credit passes to include Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology and English at WASC (O’ Level) School Certificate, GCE or SSCE, which must be obtained at not more than two sittings. This must be provided in addition to acceptable UTME JAMB score.
- Candidates who have gone through the University Remedial Science Programme must have obtained passes in all the relevant subjects at one sitting, in addition to meeting the required cut off mark of the UTME JAMB examination.
Candidates with NCE, IJMB and Advanced level certificates in relevant biology subjects in addition to acceptable direct entry points are also eligible for admission into 200 level.
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
- 5 credits passes at SSCE/WASC/GCE O’L or its equivalent, obtained at a maximum of two sittings. The credit passes must include: Mathematics, English, and Physics (acceptable for Computer Science). Candidates must also meet the requirements of the University for the UTME Examinations.
- Holders of H.S.C / GCE Advanced level, IJMB, NCE, OND (in Computer Science) in addition credit passes at the O’ level are also eligible.
Faculty of Social Science
Departments under the faculty of Social Science are:
Department of Political Science
Candidates who wish to apply to the Department of Economics must possess five credit passes to include Economics, Mathematics and three other Social science subjects
Direct Entry requirements
Credit passes in English and four other Art subjects
Department of Psychology
The Department of Psychology requires at least a pass in Biology and Mathematics at the Ordinary Level. Health Science is also acceptable in place of Biology.
Direct Entry, G.C.E. A’ Level and Diploma in relevant fields to Psychology, in addition to meeting O’ Level requirement are also acceptable.
Faculty of Environmental Sciences
Department of Geography
Department of Urban & Regional Planning
Requirements for Admission
5 SSCE credit passes in Geography, Mathematics, Economics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology
Direct Entry Requirement
2 A’ level passes in Chemistry and any one of Zoology, Chemistry, Botany, or any other science subject
College of Health Sciences
Departments under the College of Health Sciences include:
Microbiology & Parasitology
Pharmacology & Therapeutics
Medical and Biochemistry
Five credit passes in Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and any other science subject
Direct Entry Requirements
- A’ level passes in any of Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Mathematics and any other science subject
Faculty of Law
Four Departments under the Faculty of Law are:
- Department of International Law and Jurisprudence
- Department of Commercial Law
- Department of Private Law
- Department of Public Law
Direct Entry Requirements
- Two A’ level passes in Social science or Art related subjects
- NCE/ND/ First Class degrees
5 O’ level credit passes to include Mathematics, English language and Literature in English
Exchange your Bitcoins & Perfect Money for Naira. Get Paid Automatically in 10 seconds.