The Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PDGE) is a program designed to prepare graduates of the university to become efficient teachers in primary, secondary school and higher institutions. The course is meant to equip students with the knowledge and skills needed in order to teach specific subjects in school. The course prepares its students with professional knowledge and understanding of learners, both in the teaching and learning processes. Students of the course are also able to develop both the theoretical grounding and critical approaches to make pedagogical judgments and decisions in their roles as teachers. The course covers a broad range of pedagogical skills, professional knowledge, and understanding of learners; both theoretical and practical, in order to make its students effective educators. The programme provides them with an advanced understanding of teaching methods and procedures which also positions them for teaching roles.
Graduates of Postgraduate Diploma in Education acquire advanced teaching skills which are applicable in the secondary and elementary level of education. Graduates of this course find roles as teachers, administrators, and consultants in the educational sector. They are able to engage also in policy-making, communication education, and research.
PGDE in Nigeria: Requirements & How to Enroll
By completing the course, you will have acquired an advanced understanding of teaching procedures and other relevant skills for effective teaching, as applicable for student learning and educational administration.
The objectives of the Post Graduate Diploma in Education are to:
- enable students to have adequate knowledge and understanding of the philosophical, psychological and sociological foundations of Education and the importance of these to teaching and learning in schools
- enable students to acquire the subject-specific knowledge and other relevant pedagogical skills for teaching in primary and secondary schools
- provide an avenue for the development of practical skills in the school setting through a process of supervised internship/monitoring.
- enables its students to apply formal and informal assessment strategies to evaluate learners and ensure the continuous intellectual, social, and physical development of the learner;
- Enable the student to apply knowledge of effective verbal, nonverbal, and multi-media communication techniques to foster active learning and interaction in the classroom among learners
Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)
This program is under the faculty of Education
The Postgraduate Diploma in Education programme is targeted at graduates of other disciplines who do not possess a professional teaching qualification but are interested in a career in teaching or who are currently doing so.
Admission Requirements for PGDE
- Candidates must have a minimum of 5 credits in O’ levels examinations in either art. Commercial or science courses.
- Candidates who have a Higher National Diploma with a minimum of lower credit grade
- Candidates must have a first degree with a minimum of third class grade or in some other universities, a minimum of a 2nd Class Lower Division from any university accredited and recognized by the National Universities Commission
- Candidates must compulsorily have credit passes in Mathematics and English Language at O’level examinations
- Applicants for admission into the Postgraduate Diploma in Education programme are expected to have at least a first degree (BA/ B.Sc/ B.Ed./ B.Sc (Ed)/ B.A (Ed)) or a HND (Higher National Diploma) or its equivalent in languages, social sciences, basic sciences or other related disciplines.
- Candidate must satisfy the UTME requirements for the year or meet the cut off as demanded by the school.
- In some universities, Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) is offered on a full-time basis only to candidates who are holders of degrees in approved teaching subjects. The programme runs in the evening and weekend
General Admission Requirements for Postgraduate studies
- Candidate seeking admission must possess five credit passes to include English language and Mathematics and other relevant subjects in “O” Level examinations. Candidates seeking admission into a Master’s Degree or Postgraduate Diploma of any Nigerian university must have a good (first or second class) Honours Degree from any university recognized by the National Universities Commission. The Postgraduate Diploma in Education does not require that one’s first degree be in a discipline relevant to the programme into which admission is being sought.
- Candidates with professional qualifications (HND) must obtain five credits in GCE or WASC, to include the English Language. Every faculty also has the right to conduct examinations and tests to receive students according to the results of these examinations.
- The graduates from the universities accredited by the National Universities Commission can apply for any PGD form in any Nigerian University
- Candidates who have alternative degrees to the Bachelor’s Degree qualifications such as C.P.A, BEEC, ICAN, ACMA, ACCA, A.I.B. can also apply and be considered for admission into a Post Graduate Diploma in Education.
- Degree result transcripts are required for all admissions.
Duration of the Programme
In some universities, the PGDE programme runs for a period of 15 calendar months consisting of 12 months of theoretical course work and three months of internship in schools/colleges.
At the completion of the course, a graduate receives a Postgraduate Diploma in Education
What jobs one can qualify for with a Postgraduate diploma in Education?
- School Teacher
- Educational Administrator
- Education Research Specialist
- Elementary Education Specialist
Institutions Offering Postgraduate Diploma in Education(PGDE)
- Niger State College of Education, Minna
- University of Uyo, Uyo
- Nasarawa State University, Keffi
- University of Benin, Benin City
- Taraba State University, Jalingo
- Godfrey Okoye University, Enugu
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina
- Cross River University of Technology, Calabar
- Bayero University, Kano
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- National Teachers Institute, Kaduna
- National Open University of Nigeria(NOUN)
How to register for the Postgraduate Diploma in Education
Step 1: Visit the University’s admission portal to begin the admission process.
Step 2: Generate a payment invoice for the application fee.
Step 3: Upon successful payment, visit the nearest study centre with copies of the application form to complete the admission process.
Most institutions allow for payment via the following options:
- Bank Deposit (via Remita)
- Online (via Remita)