You must have come across this course under different names in various institutions in Nigeria.
Often referred to as BSc. (Ed) Physical and Health Education in which graduates obtain two certificates, a Bachelor of Science and an Education degree or Sports Science and Health Education in some other universities. This course is usually found under the faculty of Education in most institutions. This page provides information on BSc Health Education which includes:
- The O’ level subject requirement and combination needed to study Health Education
- JAMB UTME Subjects and Requirements
- Direct Entry Requirements
- The list of schools that offer Health Education in Nigeria
and other information you need successfully gain admission to study Health Education in institutions in Nigeria.
BSc. Health Education is an undergraduate course that explores various strategies for raising public awareness of health maintenance. Students of this course learn about effective ways and strategies for health promotion, community, school health education interventions, program planning, implementation of campaigns, and evaluation. Major topics of discussion under this course include injury prevention, violence prevention, substance abuse prevention, sexual health education, emotional health education, nutrition, and physical activity.
Graduates of Health Education understand the methods for helping people make better decisions on health issues by acquiring knowledge, skills, beliefs, attitude and behaviour changes in order to lessen unhealthy habits. They find career opportunities in schools, communities, and organizations, where they give instructions and provide direction and leadership to help people maintain a healthy lifestyle. Health education covers various aspects of responsibilities conducts required for professionals in the field.
Admission Requirements for Health education
Health education is a four-year degree programme when applying via UTME and three years when applying via direct entry.
Candidates applying via UTME to study Health education must have five credit passes GCE/SSCE/NECO in the following subjects: Mathematics, English language, Biology/Health Science and two other science subjects. These credits must be obtained at not more than two sittings.
Candidates applying via direct-entry for a three-year degree programme in Health Education must have:
- Two or more advanced level papers (A’ levels) in GCE or HSC of which one must be Biology or Zoology;
- Merit level in NCE Health and Physical Education with a minimum of three “C” grades to include Physical and Health Education,
- A Pass in Two-year Diploma in health and physical education at any accredited university, with distinction, credit or merit
- Technical Teacher Certificate in Health Education obtained from an accredited institution
- At least pass in 3-year health Education/health technology/Nursing/public health Nursing Diploma programme or its equivalent from any recognized university or health institution
- IJMB pass examination results
- Diploma in Physical and Health Education with at least Credit from any recognized institutions
All these must be in addition to obtaining the five credits required for the UTME entry-level at SSCE/WASC/NECO/GCE or its equivalent.
JAMB UTME subject combination
The UTME subject combination needed to study Health Education under the Faculty of Education in the Nigerian universities include:
Biology, Mathematics and Economics/Geography.
Health education is a profession of educating people about healthy behaviours and habits to include environmental health, physical health, social health, emotional health, as well as sexual and reproductive health education.
Health education is a social science and science course that draws from the medical sciences, biology, environmental, psychological, and physical sciences to promote health and prevent disease, disability, and premature death through education-driven campaigns and activities. This course exposes students to different sports and how exercising keeps individuals healthy. Students of this course go through various practical and theory aspects.
Job Opportunities and Career Prospects for Health Education Graduates in Nigeria
Health Education is a four-year bachelor’s degree program and graduates of this course are open to various career opportunities such as:
- Teachers of Health Education, Health Science or Physical Education in schools and or health institutions:
- Directors of sports, organizers or secretaries in sports councils and other sports agencies
- Sports psychologists
- Injury rehab clinic therapists
- Administration and directors of health programme
- Recreation organizers in recreation centres
- Directors of tourist centres
- Health counselors in educational and health institutions;
- Environmental health officers
- Community development worker
- Further education teacher
- Health promotion specialist
- Health service manager
- Medical sales representative
- Adult nurse
- Occupational therapist
- Personal trainer
- Physician associate
- Social worker
- Health Educator
- Physical and occupational therapists
- Healthcare Promotional Specialists
Other job roles include:
Certified Education Specialist: The role of an Education specialist is to develop healthcare-related educational programs so as to help patients improve their overall well-being and quality of life.
Healthcare Information Analyst: These primarily function in the gathering and analysis of relevant information in topics such as identifying existing, widespread problems in healthcare settings so as to foster effective educational campaigns.
Community Promotion Specialist: The primary role of a Community Promotion Specialist is to gather and analyze healthcare-related information, report on their findings, and design campaigns focus primarily on overall community awareness
Product Development Specialist: In the corporate world, a product development specialist works to develop materials relating to the proper use of a product or service.
Graduates of Health Education might work with large organizations, communities, rehabilitation centres and orthopaedic hospitals while others might take a patient-by-patient approach.
Nigerian institutions where you can study health education include:
Available as Human kinetics Education
Adekunle Ajasin University
Delta State University
Ebonyi State University
University of Ibadan
University of Ilorin
University of Lagos
Lagos State University
University of Maiduguri
Kogi state university
Kwara state university
Obafemi Awolowo University
Olabisi Onabanjo University
Tai Solarin University of Education
University of Nigeria
University of Uyo
The course is available as Sports science and Health education in
Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University
It is available as Human Kinetics and Health Education in the following universities:
University of Port-Harcourt
Ekiti state university
Available as Physical health Education in:
Ambrose Ali University
Benue State University
University of Calabar
University of Ibadan
Obafemi Awolowo University
Nnamdi Azikiwe University
University of Port Harcourt
really an interesting and informative post u’ve got here