Automobile engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with vehicles. It is a multi-disciplinary field that incorporates elements of mechanical, electrical, electronic, software and safety engineering as it applies to the design, manufacture, and operation of vehicles such as motorcycles, automobiles and trucks and their respective engineering subsystems. Automobile engineering also includes the modification of vehicles using industrial tools that utilize things such as milling machine coolant. The manufacturing domain of automobile engineering deals with designing and assembling the parts of automobiles. Students of Automobile engineering learn how to maintain Motorcycles, cars, Busses, h and h trailers for sale, etc.
Automobile Engineering in Nigeria
Automobile engineering is a five-year bachelor’s degree program, click to see jc updates. Upon successful completion of the program, graduates are awarded a B.Eng degree in Engineering. Students of Automobile engineering are taught how automobiles are designed, produced and assembled, the principles and guidelines in automobile design. Individuals interested in studying this course need to be comfortable with technical subjects in their secondary schools such as Technical drawing, Mathematics, and Physics. Knowledge in these subjects is much needed in order to understand advanced concepts in Automobile engineering. Anyone interested in studying Automobile engineering should also be interested in cars and other vehicles, or else might find the course to be boring.
This article provides information on Mechanical engineering under the faculty of Engineering. Such information includes:
- O’Level Subjects and Requirements
- JAMB UTME Subject combination and Requirements
- Direct Entry Requirements
- List of Schools that offer Mechanical Engineering in Nigeria
- Career opportunities available for graduates of automobile engineering
and other information you need to know about the course.
O’LEVEL SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS
Admission Requirements for Automobile engineering
Admission into the Bachelor of Engineering (B.Eng), Automotive Engineering programme is either through Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) into 100 level or direct entry into 200 level
Admission requirements for UTME entry-level candidates
JAMB’s subject combination to study automobile engineering is English Language, Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry.
Candidates must have at least five credit passes at GCE/SSSCE/NECO or its equivalent in the following subjects: Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, and English Language. The result must be obtained at not more than two (2) sittings.
Admission requirements for Direct entry candidates
In addition to the UTME entry-level requirements specified above, candidates seeking admission to 200 level via direct entry must have the following requirements:
- ND at upper credit level or its equivalent in Automotive Engineering or related discipline from recognized institutions
- ND/NCE at credit/merit levels in relevant fields to Automobile engineering
- HND (lower credit) in relevant fields to Automobile engineering
- Good passes at GCE A’ levels or its equivalent in Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics
NOTE: At UTME, you should aim for a score of 200 or above because admission to the department of Automobile engineering is highly competitive and anything below 200 may deny you of Admission/Post UTME.
Nigerian institutions that offer Automobile engineering aim to teach their students the theory and practical aspects of the course including the use of casagrande piezometers. Automobile engineering combines engineering, science, technology, and management, by incorporating training, research and practice-oriented learning in the study of the course.
In scientific and technological research, automobile engineering focuses on areas such as:
- Automotive safety
- Energy efficiency
- Environmental protection
- Vehicle structural design
- Vehicle dynamics and electronic control
- Vehicle vibration and noise control
- Electronic control of the automotive engine
- New power system and electric vehicle
- Automotive engine combustion and emissions control
Students of Automobile engineering are taught to have a scientific systematic approach in solving engineering problems and imbibe an attitude of learning and research which is essential in order to be successful in the course.
Nigerian institutions where you can study Automobile engineering in Nigeria
The course is available as Automotive Engineering in the following universities:
Federal University, of Technology Owerri
Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi
Difference between Automobile engineering and Mechanical engineering
Generally, Automobile engineering is regarded as a sub-branch of mechanical engineering. When it is studied as a main branch in the university, students are able to streamline their study of automobiles.
Students of mechanical engineering learn about every mechanical object or machine in the world. It is more of a generalized course that focuses on the theory of machines, dynamics, the kinetics of machines, etc.
In Automobile engineering, you will learn specifics of automobiles such as Automobile IC engines, Vehicle Dynamics, Vehicle kinematics, etc. You will also receive auto mechanic training.
For example, an Automobile engineer will focus on safety, manufacturing, research and development, innovative electrical and computer components while a Mechanical Engineer would work on putting together a vehicle through engineering principles and problem-solving skills.
Auto Mobile Engineer Job Specifications and Benefits
The job and career opportunities available to a graduate of automobile engineering keep evolving due to technological advancements. Engineers in this field can design new vehicles or improve existing automotive engineering technology.
- Automotive Engineering Technician
- Automotive Design Engineer
- Automobile Designer
- Vehicle Designer
- Vehicle Dynamic Controller
- Operation Research
- Automotive engineering supervisors
- Engineer assistants
- Design Engineers: They are responsible for the concept design aspect of a vehicle. Simply put, they make the vehicle look good. The primary role of design engineers is to develop the visual appearance of a vehicle. Design engineers are also familiar with the intricate details of the hydraulic, electrical, and mechanical systems of a vehicle
- Development Engineers: These ones are primarily involved in researching and finding solutions to engineering problems. They look out for ways to improve the efficiency of existing vehicles and also develop new ones. They are also involved in automobile level testing, validation, and certification.
- Production Engineers: Their responsibility is to make sure the process of manufacture goes smoothly. This means that they are involved in the entire processes in the manufacturing of vehicles which includes the design, development, implementation, operation, maintenance, and control of vehicles
- Safety Engineering: The primary roles of safety engineers is to ensure that engineered systems are safe to use
- Automotive mechanic: This is a mechanic who performs auto hail repair tasks, maintenance, diagnostic testing and inspection of vehicles-small cars and trucks.
Automobile engineering is a course that holds thriving careers and options for those who would love to take it up. The automotive industry keeps evolving and thus allows for research and innovation.
Is it automotive or mobile omo me i dey confused