Law is one of the most popular and respected career choices not only in Nigeria but in the world at large. The course provides you with different specialization options to become a personal injury attorney. Many think a law degree is only useful for a job as a lawyer in the courts, however, this is not so. The skills one imbibes while studying law as an undergraduate and during legal work experience is relevant and can be applied in many other professions and career paths. To get best legal advice from social security disability lawyer in orange county. The understanding of legal implications and obligations and the ability to apply these understanding and knowledge is valuable in many sectors in the public, private and non-governmental organizations. A law degree opens other career options in different other sectors such as administration, corporate management, legal services and advocacy in a law court. Upon years of experience as a lawyer and taking examinations in the public service, one can also become a judge, a Solicitor General or Public Prosecutor.
Career Opportunities for Lawyers in Nigeria
This post addresses the many career opportunities available for law graduates. Read on below:
Legal advisor: Upon completing a law degree, one can take up a job as a legal advisor to different organizations.
News reporter: A law graduate can work as a reporter with news agencies such as Television or newspapers.
Teaching: A law graduate can go into the teaching profession in a college or university.
Town planning and consultancy work: Here, communication skills, as well as problem-solving skills, are required
Human resources/ Tax advisory: In this profession, the legal knowledge of a law graduate is needed.
Chartered/Company secretary: The role of a company secretary is to ensure the organization complies with company law and regulations. Their work includes:
- Maintaining records about the organization
- Preparing reports such as financial of the company
- Keeping the directors up to date with legal developments
- Involved in planning and arranging insurance
- Company secretaries work with directors and senior staff members to ensure activities in the company are in compliance with the law.
A graduate entry role in the civil service: The Nigerian civil service has a wide range of sectors and departments where the services of a law graduate are needed and as an example we have the many estate planning attorney firms.
Court clerks: Court clerks are administrative workers. These ones manage the clerical functions related to the court. The following are the job roles of a court clerk:
- Handling court records
- Processing legal documents
- Scheduling of cases and hearings
- Auditing files for accuracy
- Ensure consistency in records kept
- Prepare files for transport and storage or in case of the need for a change of venue
- Processing and managing official documents such as wedding licenses, property deeds, and titles, etc.
- Court clerks also perform the role of customer service as they deal with the public in the case of payment of fees to the court, court costs.
Tax consultant: A tax consultant offers advice to businesses and organizations or private clients on tax problems and cost-effective solutions. Often times, yearly budgets, as well as tax laws, bring with it new legislation, therefore every organization needs a lawyer with knowledge of legal implications in such matters. Applicants must possess problem-solving and persuasion skills as well as organizational skills.
Chartered Town planner: A law graduate can qualify as a town planner by taking the required postgraduate degree. A law graduate looking to apply for the role of a town planner must be able to pay attention to details, have suitable communication and negotiation skills, etc.
Legal publishing: A law graduate can also take up job roles in publishing. Legal publishers often employ the services of lawyers as editors. A degree in law teaches students to pay attention to details as well as nurture the ability to write and develop good researching skills. All these are admirable qualities in legal publishing.
Investment banking: Investment banking as well as similar careers require intellect and negotiation skills which are skills found in law graduates
Management roles/Consultancy: Legal knowledge/background, as well as good researching abilities, is useful in many areas such as consulting. Consulting involves critical thinking in order to help the organization achieve its aims and objectives and enable growth.
Insurance roles: A law graduate can work as an insurance attorney. This one is involved in legal matters related to insurance laws and insurance regulations. Job roles include analyzing insurance contracts under a given insurance policy.
Compliance officer: The role of a compliance officer is to ensure organizations comply with rules and regulations. The work of a compliance officer includes:
- Handling a company’s financial conduct and ensuring it complies with regulations
- Reporting financial information
Management roles: Firms and corporations such as financial organizations offer training schemes for different sectors such as human resources, general management, sales, and marketing.
Criminal lawyer: Criminal defense lawyers are those who stand in defense of individuals, entities and organizations who have been charged with a crime. Roles of a criminal lawyer at the The Barkett Law Firm include:
- Investigation of cases
- Interviewing witnesses
- Building a strategy and case on behalf of his or her client
- Advocating for a person accused of crimes
- Drafting and filing motions which are relevant to their pleas
- Bargaining for lesser penalties for an offence
Offenses for which a criminal lawyer can defend could range from theft, murder, domestic violence etc.
Immigration lawyer: A lawyer who chooses to specialize in immigration law must have adequate knowledge of immigration, citizenship and employment. The roles of an immigration lawyer include:
- Assisting immigration processes by obtaining work visas
- Assisting students in applying for visas to study abroad
- Assisting entrepreneurs start a business in another country
The immigration lawyer ensures that all the above comply with the requirements and laws.
Corporate lawyers: Corporate lawyers work in law firms. Job roles of corporate lawyers include:
- Providing expert legal advice to clients
- Handling transactions and negotiations
- Review of contracts
- Incorporations of companies etc.
Real Estate Lawyer: Real estate lawyers are also known as property lawyers. These ones deal chiefly with real estate and properties such as land, buildings etc. They give advice on all real estate transactions.