The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) is a Nigerian government agency responsible for migration management in the country. The Nigeria Immigration Service was extracted from the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) in 1958. Since then, the agency has been entrusted with core immigration duties. Other responsibilities of the Nigeria Immigration Service according to its establishment acts are:
- The control of persons entering or leaving Nigeria
- The issuance of travel documents, to qualified Nigerians in and outside Nigeria
- The issuance of residence permits to foreigners in Nigeria
- Border surveillance and patrol
- Enforcement of laws and regulations as regards migration.
NIS Recruitment Requirements
The Nigeria Immigration Service is a place many Nigerians desire to work. This is because of its stability as a government agency and assurance of consistent pay. Below are requirements for anyone who wants to work at the Nigeria Immigration Service.
- Applicants for the Nigeria Immigration Service must be Nigerian by birth.
- Applicants must be medically fit
- Applicants are required to present a certificate of medical fitness from a certified government hospital.
- Applicants must be free from financial debts.
- Applicants for the Nigeria Immigration Service must be between the ages of 18-30 years.
- All male applicants height must not be less than 1.65m in height
- All-female applicants must not be less than 1.60m in height.
- Men’s chest measurement must not be less than 0.87m wide.
When applying to the Nigeria Immigration Service, you must ensure you are fit to apply by meeting all criteria. This includes providing medical records to prove your current state of health.
Step by step process on how to apply to the Nigeria Immigration Service
Follow these steps apply to Nigeria Immigration Service when recruitment processes begin:
- Log on to the agency recruitment portal
- You will be provided with an option to select your preferred Cadre or position: Superintendent, Inspectorate or Assistant Cadre
- Ensure you read and understand the particular cadre requirements to see if you qualify and then proceed by clicking ‘APPLY FOR THIS JOB’
- Complete the registration form by selecting your job function and basic information
Fill in your Biodata
Ensure you complete all required fields in this section as you will not be allowed to progress to the next page otherwise. There is a status bar at the top right corner of your screen that shows if your application has been completed or is still pending.
Passport photo upload
Upload your recent passport photograph which must meet the following specifications:
Your passport must be a JPG, JPEG, PNG image file.
Passport must be a maximum file size of 200KB.
Passport must be at least 600 x 600 pixels
If your uploaded passport is a scanned photo, crop the image to show only your head and shoulders before you upload it.
A passport photo must be a clear image and must not be blurry or fuzzy
The photo must be that of only you
The photo must be against a plain background.
Photo must not be enhanced
If you wear a head covering for religious reasons, you are required to adjust it so it can provide a full-face view.
Your photo must not be enhanced in any way with filters, lenses, filters, or emojis
The photo must be a full face-and-shoulders shot, squarely facing the camera.
Photo must be in portrait (not landscape)
You cannot wear dark glasses in photo.
You will be asked to select your Physical ability status
Input your NYSC certificate number and year of identification (this is required for Superintendent Category only)
Select your preferred mode of identification
Input the document number
Complete all required and relevant fields as regards your qualification
Include your additional degrees and professional certifications
Employment History [Applicable to Superintendent Cadre only – Optional]
You must input details of your previous and current employment (this is only applicable for the position of Superintendent cadre).
You will be required to upload the following documents:
Birth Certificate/Declaration of Age
Indigene certificate and other documents as they apply to you.
Documents must not be more than 200kb and must be in PDF format
The summary page is where all the data you have entered on your application is displayed so you can review and confirm. At this point, you can still correct any incorrect information, and update your data.
Click on ‘Confirm Data’ to lock your data for final submission. You cannot edit any information after clicking confirm data. When applying at the Nigeria Immigration Service, you can log out and return at a later time to continue your application.
When coming for the physical assessment, all candidates must come along with the following documents:
- Photocopy of Online Application Reference Form
- Any form of verified Identification document with a very clear holder’s picture
Document required to be uploaded during NIS Recruitment Process:
Prove of age: Any document or certificate that serves as a declaration of age, such as a birth certificate.
Health clearance document.
Note: All documents must be uploaded in PDF and the size should be 200kb or below.
Training Process by Nigeria Immigration Service
After the application process has been completed, you will be required to go through a training process. An Immigration service job requires adequate information, skills and so a personnel must be fully trained for a period of 6 months before they are posted to their respective station.
Salary structure of Nigeria Immigration Service
It is no surprise that many want to work with the Nigeria Immigration Service. It is very common to hear people ask this question about the salary structure of Nigerian immigration? Nigeria Immigration Service has ranks in service, which are:
- Comptroller General Immigration Service;
- Assistant Comptrollers General;
- Superintendent of Immigration;
- Assistant Superintendent of Immigration;
- Senior Inspector of Immigration;
- Assistant Inspector of Immigration;
- Immigration Assistant;
- Passport Officers;
It is rumored that the starting salary of a Passport officer is N30, 000 per month which amounts to N360, 000 per annum. The average salary of an Immigration officer is about 2 million naira per annum.