Staying relevant on your job is one thing that cannot be overemphasized.
If your job description involves a lot of risk, then it is ideal that you equip yourself with the necessary information with regards to health and safety.
Apart from preventing work-related accidents, a health and safety training is also ideal if you want to give your career a boost and rise quickly through the ranks.
And just in case you’re still dilly-dallying on whether you should get trained in the basics of health and safety, here’s something you should know.
- Every year over 3 million people suffer from different type of illness or injury which have been directly relate to the work environment.
- Also, an estimated 20% of people are killed in preventable accidents while on their day-to-day job.
That’s some food for thought.
But if you’ve made up your mind to get your HSE training, we’ve put together all the information you need to enrol and get certified in any of the internationally recognized health and safety courses.
HSE is the acronym for Health, Safety and Environmental Management. It is the process of managing, controlling and handling all the necessary aspects of health, safety and the environment with focus on major accident risk.
In recent times, the HSE certification has been reputed to be one of the most important certifications in the field of engineering, science, technology, medicine, banking, finance, oil and gas as well as many other professional fields.
One of the advantages of having a HSE certification is that it helps you stand out when applying for jobs. It also boosts your chances of promotion on your current job.
Let’s take a look at the organization in charge of these exams.
The UK SHE
The UK SHE Organisation is a health and safety management organization that provides the British International Safety Organization (BISO) certification in health and safety, environmental, quality as well as the auditing skills to upcoming and practising professionals
The UK SHE course which comprised HSE levels 1, 2 and 3 will equip you with the right knowledge, skills and training needed for both the theoretical and practical aspects of occupational health and safety, emergency planning as well as environmental management.
Once you’ve completed the training, you will have the necessary foundation to create, plan, implement, audit and evaluate programs that cover health and safety, emergency planning as well as environmental management systems.
Here are the three levels of HSE training and what they equip you with.
- HSE level 1 (Award in Health and Safety at work) – This gives you the essential understanding skills, principles and practices of workplace safety. Once you have a grasp of the basics, you can proceed to the more detailed training in level 2.
HSE Level 1 exam contains 100 compulsory multiple choice question. The duration of the examination is 60 minutes.
- HSE level 2 (Risk Assessment Practical Application) – This qualification is designed to help improve the workplace culture. It enables you to understand the basic principles of risk assessment. This course is suitable for anyone in a work environment as it raises awareness of the concept of risk assessment.
The level 2 exam requires you to complete a risk assessment and a HSE report. You will be issued your results, 60 days after your exams and your certificate will be sent 30 days later
- HSE level 3 (Award in Environmental Awareness) – This qualification is very essential when it comes to raising awareness on the key environmental concepts as well as introducing you to environmental management systems. This course applies to anyone whose job has a significant impact on the environment, or those being introduced to environmental issues for the first time.
HSE Level 3 which contains 10 compulsory practical based questions for 1 hour.
You can enrol at any of the training centres in the country prior to taking the HSE exams.
Some of the topics you’ll be exposed in the course of your training include:
- Health and Safety in the work place
- International and Local Health and Safety legislations and policies
- Type of Hazards and control measures (HEMP)
- Permit to Work
- Safety Signs and symbols
- Lock out Tag Out Work Procedures
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Accident Investigation and Emergency Response
- Risk Assessment and applications (Site Project)
- Job Hazard Analysis (JHA)
- Crisis Management and Security Awareness
- Environmental Awareness
- Basic First Aid and applications
- Fire Safety applications
The basic first aid and fire safety training should be practical sessions.
Once you have successfully pased the HSE exams, you will receive the UK HSE International Membership along with your certificate.
If you’re working in a safety related position, the NEBOSH certification will certainly give your career prospects a boost. However, you can take this course irrespective of your job description.
So what exactly is NEBOSH?
NEBOSH is the acronym for the National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health.
The examination was formed in 1979 as an independent examining board. NEBOSH provides a comprehensive range of globally-recognised, vocationally-related qualifications designed to meet the health, safety, environmental and risk management needs for all places of work both in the private and public sectors.
There are 3 primary levels of the NEBOSH certification. The entry level is called the NEBOSH award which equips you with the basics of health and safety training.
Also, there’s the NEBOSH certificate and the NEBOSH diploma. After a certain level of NEBOSH training, you will be required to sit for an international exam. If you are successful you will be awarded the NEBOSH International General Certificate.
Additionally, there is the NEBOSH National Diploma in Environmental Management eLearning course which has been designed for individuals that their job description involves managing environmental risk in relation to the damage caused by work activities.
The NEBOSH training is quite popular with over 35,000 candidates taking the exam annually from over 90 countries around the world.
NEBOSH qualifications are internationally recognized by the relevant professional membership bodies which include the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH), the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM) and the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA).Legal sustainable income from home? It’s real with FBS, a regulated international Forex broker. Free education, initial investment from $1, unlimited income