Egypt is certainly an interesting country to visit. This country is known as the mother of civilization and the pyramids in Egypt are the last of the seven wonders of the ancient world that still exist.
Apart from this, there are several other artifacts and popular landmarks in Egypt. One of such is the famous river Nile which is one of the longest rivers in Africa.
You may have heard so much about Egypt and you’ve decided to visit this wonderful African country but you don’t know how to get started.
Well, it’s not exactly difficult getting a visa to travel to Egypt. It is just very important that you get the right information in order to successfully apply and visit this country of your dreams.
Usually, a visit to Egypt can either be a short term or long term visit. The short term doesn’t exceed 90 days and in this case you’re most likely travelling for leisure or vacation
If you intend travelling for the purpose of work, business or study, there are specific visas for these reasons. The categories of Egyptian visas are listed below:
- Student Visa: This visa enables you to study at any Egyptian institution for a specified period of time
- Business Visa: This applies if you are travelling for the purpose of a meeting, conference, seminar or trade fair. The business visa covers any visitor coming in to Egypt to discuss the terms of a contract or to make business-related negotiations.
- Work Visa: This visa applies to those that intending working in the country. An Egyptian work visa could either be a temporary or permanent work visa.
- Travel Visa: This is the name given to the visa granted to those travelling for vacation, tourism or entertainment. It also applies if you’re planning to visit a family member or a friend
- Transit Visa: If you are travelling through Egypt and you’ll be in the country for not more than 72 hours, you can apply for the transit visa.
If you’re travelling with your children, specifically your dependent children, you can include them on your visa application form. You don’t have to submit a separate application for this purpose.
The most popular visa category being applied for is the tourist visa and we’ve decided to make the process of obtaining the visa quite straightforward. This is why this article has been written to provide you with a step by step guide to help you in the application process.
Once, you’ve confirmed that you’ll be travelling for the tourism or leisure-related purposes, the next step is to download the visa application form. You should fill this form correctly after which you’ll take it to the Egyptian Embassy for submission. The Egypt Mission in Nigeria is located in Abuja at Plot 340 Diplomatic Drive, Central Area.
You should take this form along with some other relevant documents. Below is a checklist of the documents you need:
- A completed visa application form and required declaration.
- Passport photographs.
- Original valid national passport and a photocopy.
- Original valid visa (for non-Nigerian nationals).
- A recent financial institution statement of account showing your transactions in the last 6 months. You should have enough money in your account to finance your trip.
- An original confirmation letter from an insurance company on travel health insurance for Egypt and one photocopy of the letter.
- A proof of group travel; hotel room reservations/ airline ticket reservation for Egypt and a photocopy of the document
Also, you’ll need to provide proof of sound health which you can get from any accredited Nigerian Hospital.
If you’ll be travelling to visit a family or friend, an invitation letter should be included with your other documents when submitting. The invitation letter must contain important details about you and these include your full names, your Nigerian address, relationship with your host, the purpose for your visit and some other important details.
On the other hand, the host is expected to include his/her full names and contact address in the letter. Other information required includes residency status, occupation and some other necessary details.
If your host is sponsoring the trip, s/he must attach a bank statement and a letter indicating intent to sponsor the trip.
Your application should be submitted at the Egyptian Mission and you are expected to pay your application fee after which your visa will be processed within a few days.