VTU Business is one of the profitable businesses you can do in Nigeria. The business is suitable for individuals and small or medium sized businesses.
In this post, you will learn about VTU business in Nigeria and how you can start one. But first, let’s take a look at the term, “VTU” and what it is all about.
VTU Business in Nigeria: How to start in 2019
VTU simply means Virtual Top Up and it is a digital method of selling airtime credit automatically. One of the reasons why the VTU business has grown to become quite lucrative is because of the surge in the number of mobile phone users in the country and the need to buy airtime.
Before the introduction of VTU, the traditional way of purchasing airtime on your phone was by buying a recharge card or voucher and then loading the airtime/credit on your phone with a USSD code. For example, *555*XXXXXX# is the method used by MTN subscribers.
With the advent of VTU, all you need to do as a customer is paying a vendor and your phone will be directly credited by the vendor. This means that you no longer need a scratch card before you can load airtime. You will simply receive an alert indicating that your phone has been topped up.
Currently, all banks in the country are VTU vendors which is why you can buy airtime directly from your account. The fact that banks have hopped on to the VTU train is a clear indicator that the business is quite lucrative. However, it is not limited to just the banks, anyone can become a VTU vendor including you.
If you’re still wondering if you should join the moving train, here are a few more reasons:
- Telecoms average revenue per user in Nigeria is N2000 per month
- Monthly airtime usage per month is N260 Billion
- Quickteller is the biggest airtime dealer in Virtual Top Up with an estimated N3billion every month
Also, VTU has several advantages over the traditional recharge cards, some of these include:
- It is quite cost effective unlike printing recharge cards because you don’t have to buy software, paper, fill your ink then maintain your computer and printer.
- VTU allows you to dispense recharge card of any denomination depending on the customer’s preference
- VTU is not restricted to airtime recharge alone; you can also use it for other services such as bill payments (DStv/GOtv, Startimes recharge, etc.)
Additionally, as a VTU Reseller on mobile airtime in Nigeria, you can get at least a 3% discount on your airtime purchase. So, let’s say you only sell just a VTU every two days, it means you will get 3% in 2 days.
Explaining further, if we are to go with this scenario, you will be earning 45% of your revenue in 30 days which is 3% x 15 days. But that’s clearly impossible, your chances of selling just one VTU in two days is extremely unlike, so it means your payment will be much higher than the example.
As a VTU agent, the advantages of this business are highlighted below:
- You don’t have to carry paper recharge or recharge cards so it helps you reduce messy Paper work and mix ups.
- VTU business is a mobile recharge card business and you don’t always have to be at a physical location to do run your business
- You earn 3-4% commission on airtime sales
- You are not limited to only airtime recharge; other bills payable include GoTV, Startimes, and DSTV. And you can earn at least N100 provided you charge your clients this amount as the transaction fee
- You can also earn from selling WAEC result checker pins at your own price
- You will be able to resell MTN data bundles
However, the VTU business is not without its disadvantages. For instance, it requires reasonable capital for you to get started. For your airtime department, you will need to buy a SIM Card for each network and also load money on these networks in order to be able to vend. This means you will need 4 SIM Cards with at least N5000 credit value on each card. Also, you need phones for these SIM cards. You can either get four phones or 2 double SIM Phones to carry all the SIM.
We have also provided information on how the VTU platform works. Interestingly, you can use one phone to register on some platforms.
Step #1 – Get your phone (s) and register on the VTU company’s website to create an account on their web platform.
Step #2 – Load money on your phone(s) so that you can use the money to vend all networks (MTN, Airtel, Glo, Etisalat). You can start with 10000 on each network. You can use any type of phone to vend airtime credit but the phone must be able to connect to the internet.
Now that you know all about VTU, we have provided additional information on how to set up your business.
1. Find a location
It is important that people can locate you when they need to load airtime or pay bills. One of the best shop locations is a busy location with a lot of foot traffic. These include commercial areas, locations near different institutions, school campuses and crowded squares.
2. Source for capital/tools
Your startup capital is quite minimal. You can start with as little as N5000. You will use this money for the advertisement and business set up. If you don’t have a mobile phone, you will also need extra cash to purchase a good phone that can be used for your transaction. You can also get a laptop which is a great device for making your business efficient.
3. Order a good showcase
This is where you will put all the necessary information about your business. It is better to get a metal one because it is more durable and will last longer.
4. Create a website
You can take your business a step higher by having a website or a dedicated social media platform where you advertise your products