It is quite common to hear prospective immigration recruits ask what the salary structure of the NIS is.
Well, in this post, we’ve compiled how much you should expect to earn as an immigration recruit. We’ve also highlighted the structure and ranks in the NIS.
But first let’s take a look at what this agency is all about.
The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) is the government agency that is responsible for migration management in the country.
The origin of the NIS can be traced to the Nigeria Police Force (NPF). The service became an independent body in 1958. At that time, it was known as the Immigration Department and was headed by the Chief Federal Immigration Officer (CFIO).
In 1963, the Immigration Department was formally established by an Act of Parliament, Cap I71. At this time, the Head of the Department was renamed as the Director of Immigration and the Department was under the control and supervision of the Federal Ministry of Internal Affairs (FMIA).
By 1992, Immigration Department was restructured which led to the name of the head of the head of the Immigration Department being changed from Director of Immigration to Comptroller General of Immigration Service. This was due to the fact that the restructuring had made the NIS a para-military organization.
Currently, the vision of the NIS is to become a modern, effective and efficient Immigration Service with a well trained and motivated workforce.
Additionally, the objectives of the agency include the strengthening of the security and prosperity of Nigeria through proactive, effective and efficient border security and migration management.
Further restructuring has led to the extra responsibility on the part of the NIS. For instance, the NIS included the ECOWAS and African Affairs division, Aliens Control and Border Patrol Management.
The NIS was saddled with the responsibilty of issuing all Nigerian travel documents in 1988.
Over the years, the NIS has been involved in using ICT in its operations and procedures with the introduction of the Machine Readable Passport (MRP) in June 1998 and the Combined Expatriate Residence Permit and Aliens card (CERPAC) in 2001.
The service has also introduced the use of ICT in its processes and operational procedures, notably the introduction of online payment for its facilities which has allowed for the e-revenue collections in Nigeria. As a result, the NIS has become the one of the pioneer government agencies to embrace e-payments.
Currently, the NIS is broken into ranks with the highest cadre being the Comptroller General while the lowest ranked officer is the passport officer.
Nigerian Immigration Ranks
Below are the Nigeria Immigration Service Ranks from the highest cadre to the least:
- Comptroller General Immigration Service (CGIS)
- Assistant Comptrollers General (ACGI)
- Assistant Comptrollers (AC)
- Superintendent of Immigration
- Assistant Superintendent of Immigration (ASI)
- Senior Inspector of Immigration (SII)
- Assistant Inspector of Immigration (AII)
- Immigration Assistant (IA)
- Passport Officers
Nigerian Immigration Structure
The structure of the Nigeria Immigration Service based on its operations is elaborated below:
Human Resource Management
This is a directorate that is involved in appointments, promotions and discipline of Immigration staff.
The HR directorate is also involved in staff welfare and gender; training and manpower development.
Some of the roles of this directorate include:
- Ensuring a consistent update of the Nominal Roll
- Implementing biometric registration of all officers
- Ensuring enhanced welfare of officers
- Profering unbiased recommendations for disciplining erring officers
- Providing the necessary administrative support to ensure the smooth running of the Service.
Planning, Research & Statistics
This is another important directorate in the NIS. Some of the responsibilities of this directorate include:
This directorate is involved in:
- Conducting research and recommend policies to drive the Service
- Analyzing statistical data and make necessary recommendations and projections
- Management and technical support for all ICT driven facilities of the service.
Works & Procurement
As the name implies, this Directorate handles works and procurement. The roles of this directorate include:
- Ensuring the maintenance of infrastructure nationwide
- Ensuring that contracts are duly awarded in accordance with the provisions of the Procurement Act
- Project design, execution and monitoring according to specifications
- Providing logistics and supply
Finance & Accounts Directorate
The major responsibility of the Finance and Accounts Directorate is to provide the necessary financial support for the smooth running of the NIS. Other responsibilities include:
- Ensuring timely Budgeting and Budgetary Control
- Ensuring timely payment of allowances and salaries to officers
- Handling all financial transactions of the Service
- Keeping records of revenue generation
- Ensuring prudent financial management.
Investigation, Inspectorate & Enforcement Directorate
This directorate is responsible for the:
- Investigation of breaches against the Immigration Act 2015 and other relevant laws
- Preparation of Eligibility briefs on applicants seeking to obtain Nigeria Citizenship
- Preparation of Status Report for grant of expatriate quota approvals
- Carrying out Repatriations and Enforcement of Deportation Orders
- Ensuring that incidences of Human Trafficking and Smuggling of migrants are reduced
- Profiling of Officers holding strategic positions in the Service and all recruits
- Surveillance, Hotel monitoring and inspection of Companies
- Management of Suspect Index
- Screening of Irregular migrants.
Operations & Passports
This directorate is in charge of Visa/ Entry Permit, Standard Passport and other Travel Documents.
Overall, their responsibilities include:
- Issuing various Immigration facilities within specified real time
- Driving successfully the implementation of the new Visa Policy
- Pursuing to logical conclusion the investigation and cancellation of any fraudulently issued passports
- Ensuring that a credible watch list is maintained and is circulated to passport offices and periodically updated
- Keeping a soft-copy of Nigerians renouncing their citizenship and ensuring their passports are duly cancelled
- Implementation of multilateral and bilateral agreements..
Nigeria Immigration Salary
In terms of salary, the starting salary which is the salary of Passport Officers is N30,000 per month or N360,000 per annum. This could rise up to N400,000 depending on extra allowances.
Overall, the average salary of an immigration officer is about N2 million per annum.
Nigerian immigration services in my best choice in my life
Please inform me when the form is out
I am interested in it, when the form is out notify mebpls.
Can i apply for NIS with National Diploma results am 22yrs
Please notify me
I want to become an IMMIGRATION OFFICER that is my hope
Please inform me
When form is aut
Please notify me when the Immigration form is out.
I want be member of nis
Please notify me when the form is out
pls notify me when the 2021 custom immigration form will be out
Pls notify me when the Nigeria immagretion form is aut
Notify me of new posts by email
When will the result of the just concluded immigration exam will be coming out?
notify once the form is out …09039391051
Please notify me when the application form is releases, pleases
Pls notify me when the immigration form is out
Please notify me when are you going to shortlist the successful candidate for 2020/2021
Pls notify me when d form is out
pls notify me wen 2020 screening will b started
Please when is the just concluded immigration list be out.
May almighty Allah Allah help us amen
I need update on when the form is coming out
Notify me when Nigeria immediation is open
kindly notify me once the form is out thanks
I need update on the form is coming out
Very good insightful Post. What i need now is update to know when the next registration begins
Pls I need update on when next the form will be coming out…..
God bless u……..Ameen…
please i want no when the form is out
Please i need notifications on d recruitment date
Please imformed me when the recruitment portal is open
Pls notify me wen the immigration form is out 08133353099
Please notify me when the immigration form is out.
Hello Emmanuel have they call you