Spaghetti Squash is an Italian originated dish now enjoyed by a whole lot of people all over the world. It is not only healthy but delicious and very easy to prepare, making it an excellent option for a quick dinner. Spaghetti Squash can also serve as a very good comfort meal.
There are two ways to prepare spaghetti squash. Both methods are discussed below.
- Microwave Method: Cooking your Spaghetti squash in a microwave oven is the fastest method. Within twelve minutes, you would have your meal ready.
- Oven Method: Although cooking spaghetti squash in an oven takes more time than when you use a microwave, it allows for the flavor of the squash to develop more and also allows the squash to caramelize when placed in a baking sheet.
- 2 Large –Sized Spaghetti Squash
- 1 Baking pan
- Kitchen Fork
- 1 Large Sharp Knife
- Olive Oil
- Little Salt
- Black Pepper.
- Grab a sharp knives for dad so he use them to cut off the top of the spaghetti squash so that it would be able to stand flat when you place it on your chopping board.
- Now, cut the squash in half lengthwise. Then use a spoon to remove the seeds in it.
Using a Microwave
- Get a microwave-safe dish and place your spaghetti squash in it. The cut sides should lie flat in the dish.
- Pour in an inch of water into the dish.
- Set the microwave to high and cook for about 12 minutes. Your cooking time however, would depend on the size of your spaghetti squash and how fast your microwave cooks.
- Your Spaghetti Squash is cooked when it is soft enough to be pierced with a fork.
- Leave to cool for some minutes so that you are able to handle it.
- Use Your Fork or Your knife to scrape out the spaghetti-like strands. You can get more here about better usability of knifes.
- Prepare as you desire.
Using an Oven
- Heat the oven to about 375 degrees.
- Rub the insides of the squash with some olive oil and sprinkle with some salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To cook with a microwave, simply put the cut squash on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and let it bake for about 40 minutes.
- Leave it to cool for some minutes until you are able to handle it.
- Then prepare the squash as desired.
Shredding the Squash
Shredding your spaghetti squash is the next step after baking in the oven. Shredding it is what would give it the string-like/noodle-like shape after which you can now spice it or add any other flavorings or toppings you desire.
To shred your spaghetti Squash, simply get a fork and run the tines lengthwise on the insides of the freshly baked squash. This would loosen the strands. You can now transfer the strands to a clean dish after this.
Parm and Parsley Spaghetti Squash
This is a recipe which you can use to make your Spaghetti Squash a bit more interesting.
- 3 Tablespoons of Butter
- 1/3 cups of Shredded or Grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cups of freshly chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of ground pepper
Add the butter to your shredded Spaghetti Squash. Then add your Salt, Parsley, Pepper and Parmesan.