Are you interested in education and teaching?
Do you want to enhance your skills in school management, administration, teaching or want to integrate a variety of skills into your teaching curriculum?
British education is a very structured curriculum. It is well recognized, respected and has achieved a worldwide reputation for its quality. Its benefits also include its inclusivity of all students, sharpening bright students and supporting those who need it through differentiated teaching and learning activities.
Whether you want to develop your classroom skills or improve your career prospects, the British Council provides support, opportunities, and partnership for professional development as the Communication Masterclass – Storytelling Workshop also does.
The Generational Speaker training provides the skills and confidence to integrate global learning themes into lessons. It also helps school administrators to utilize international partnerships.
The British Council in Nigeria offers a wide range of resources, training, and assessments to provide a base to develop international partnerships. The British Council also sends inviting applications for their core skill training programmes. These trainings provide applicants with the tools and approaches needed to ensure effectiveness in their schools. This also includes strategies for planning, monitoring and improving teaching and across the curriculum.
British Curriculum Training in Nigeria: What it Entails
What are Core skills?
They are also referred to as deep learning skills. These are essential skills taught by the British Council and are needed for efficiency in a global economy. They introduce workers to new ways of working, new ways of thinking and new ways of living in a global world.
How can you participate?
There are six core skills training packages made available to teachers across Nigeria:
- Teaching critical thinking and problem-solving
- Teaching citizenship
- Teaching collaboration and communication
- Teaching digital literacy
- Teaching creativity and imagination
- Teaching student leadership and personal development.
Any qualified teaching staff from public or private educational institutions is eligible to undergo these programmes.
How do these Programmes run?
Each programme is taught over a period of 12-14 weeks, with face-to-face sessions that take place at the beginning and end of each session, as well as online support and assistance.
After completing level 1 which is the Introduction to Core skills training, you then register for level 2.
Training is completely flexible. You are also given the choice of organizing training within your school or cluster or attending external courses.
Teaching Knowledge Test (TKT)
Teaching Knowledge Test (TKT) is a flexible assessment test for teachers. It has been developed to give teachers a strong foundation in the core areas of knowledge for teaching language in the classroom.
TKT generally helps teachers grow in confidence as well as give them the knowledge and skills that will help develop their career.
It is divided into 3 separate modules
TKT: Module 1 – Background to language teaching
TKT: Module 2 – Planning for language teaching
TKT: Module 3 – Classroom Management
Whom is TKT meant for?
TKT is specially developed for those who:
- Those are already in the teaching profession but would like to have an internationally recognized qualification for their experience
- Those who want to enhance their career opportunities by narrowing their teaching experience into specialist areas
- Those who want to be current with their teaching skills.
The British Council also runs an initiative called The Partner Schools Global Network (PSGN). This is the community of schools that offer a UK curriculum leading to exams such as the O level, IGCSE and A level. These examinations are administered in cooperation with the British Council. These schools are located across North and Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, the Middle East beyond. The British Council partners with schools and foreign language centres for the promotion and delivery of UK examinations in Nigeria. Through the PSGN, the British Council aims to:
- To offer high-quality products and services that support African leaders, teachers, learners, and parents. Through this, they are also able to support Ministries of Education with reform and improvement programmes.
- To support teachers with quality assurance self-assessment tools and an excellent suite of in-service teacher-training workshops for both primary and secondary teachers.
These are courses you can start at any time and at your convenience, studying when you want. The British Council offers three self-access courses. These are:
English Special Educational Needs: This online training course is for both primary and lower secondary teachers, and those teaching through the medium of English.
Objectives of Teaching English Special Educational Needs:
- To make teachers’ more aware of their attitudes when teaching learners with special educational needs
- To help teachers identify and overcome their own biases and prejudices
- To inform teachers about a range of special educational needs, how they can be provided and how they affect teaching and learning
- To provide teachers with a set of teaching strategies that promote inclusive learning and benefit all pupils
- To guide teachers in developing an inclusive approach in their classroom or school
- To enable teachers to become more confident when dealing with learners with special educational needs.
Learning Technologies for the classroom
This is a teacher development course that introduces teachers of English to the use of new modern technologies in the classroom. The student-teacher is taught the methodology of using a range of web technologies in the classroom. These include using the internet, cyber well-being for learners, using MS Office applications, utilizing online video and audio, and using social networking applications for educational purposes.
Steps to success
This course is suitable for those who are just completing their studies as a teacher or within their first two years of teaching. It helps the individual to transit from student teacher to a professional by putting to test and practice the theories the student-teacher has been taught.
Why is the British Educational system important?
Parents who know about the British education system also want a wide range of activities it offers. The British education system teaches to learn by questioning, problem-solving and creative thinking rather than by the mere retention of facts.
This provides them with analytical and creative thinking skills that they will need in the working world. The assessment and teaching methods provided by the British education system also helps students to develop independent thoughts and to master their courses well.
a very good innovation for teachers and organisations.
I AWAIT YOUR RESPONSE.