No Nigerian is a stranger to the meat pie delicacy. You can find it almost anywhere and they can be used at functions/events or at work as a quick snack. They’re really delicious and not expensive. Also, making them also isn’t as hard as it seems.
So let’s see how you can make one for yourself from the comfort of your kitchen.
How to Make Nigerian Meat Pie: Tools You Need
- 2 Baking Sheets
- A Pastry Brush
- A Rolling Pin
- A round dough cutter (You can improvise with the cover of a medium, sized pot)
- A Large Mixing Bowl
How to Make Nigerian Meat Pie: Ingredients
- 3 Cups of Self Raising Flour
- 1 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 3 Eggs
- 250g of Margarine
- 1 Cup of Cold Natural Water
- 1 Teaspoon of Salt
- 400g of Minced Meat
- 2 medium sized potatoes
- 1 Large Onion (diced)
- Curry Powder
- Dried Thyme
- 1 Red Chilli
- 1 Green Chilli
- Seasoning Cubes
- 2 Carrots
- Olive Oil
How to Make Nigerian Meat Pie: Instructions
- Peel the potatoes and boil them. Once soft, chop them into cubes of about 0.5cm in size.
- Chop the carrots, the chillies and neatly slice the onions. Mix together and chop them again.
- Sauce-up the minced meat with the mixture. Add salt and the seasoning cubes till it tastes alright.
- Add 2 spoons of olive oil to a shallow frying pan and fry the mixture till the look of the meat turns from pale pink to light brown.
- Add the filling in a medium saucepan and add 3 spoons of flour.
- Add water to the mixture and heat for 7 minutes. Let it cook for 5 minutes, and stir for another two minutes.
Result should be a semi-solid sauce, not too thick and not too watery. It should taste crunchy and ready to sit in the dough.
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking powder and ½ teaspoon of salt to 1 kg of flour.
- Add three eggs to about mixture in step 1. (Proportionality is important in measurements).
- Add butter to the mixture in step 2. (About 500gam, preferably chunked before addition)
- Add water gradually and allow the dough to knead and form together. (If it’s too damp, add flour. If it’s too dry, add water).
- Put the dough in the fridge for 20minutes (makes it really smooth).
- Coat your rolling pin with flower as you roll the dough till it flattens (Around 1cm thickness).
Making the Meat Pie
Cut the flattened dough with a round dough cutter (or the cover of a non-sticky pot).
Add about 1 tablespoon of the filling in the centre of the round dough.
Fold to form a half moon shape and add egg to the inside of the dough with the pastry brush.
Close with a fork and repeat till both pastries and filling is finished.
Rub margarine on the baking tray and bake at 180 degrees for 20 minutes.
Note: Watch the colour change to golden brown and that means your pies are ready.