Nigerian fish roll is a very common confectionery in Nigeria and many other parts of Africa. Although not as popular as it once was, there are still a lot of fish roll loyalists who wouldn’t have anything else to accompany their drink on a busy afternoon.
Fish roll is simply a mixture of pastry and of course, flaked fish. The procedure in making the fish roll is similar to other snacks; so you might want to follow the procedure below to make some at home.
How to make Nigerian fish roll: Tools needed
- Rolling pin
- Mixing bowl
- Flat surface (wood board)
- Frying pan
- Dough cutter (or ruler)
How to make Nigerian fishroll: Ingredients
- 250g all-purpose flower
- 170g butter
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 2 eggs + 1 egg (for egg wash)
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- Fresh clean water
- 2 medium sized fish
- 2 medium onions
- Chilli pepper (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Seasoning cubes
- ½ teaspoon of thyme
How to make Nigerian fish roll: Instructions
- Pour the flour into a medium mixing bowl.
- Add baking powder and butter (in chunks). Add the eggs too.
- Add lukewarm water, salt and vegetable oil (about 3 spoonful) and mix till you have a smooth stretchy dough.
- Cover the lumpy mixture with an air tight plastic wrap and leave it to breath in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Wash and cut the fish. Set in a pot and add water.
- Slice in some onions and add salt to taste.
- Cook till it’s boiled and empty into a sieve. (you can use the water for some other purposes).
- When fish is cool, remove all the bones and flake (add onions).
- Add seasoning cubes, thyme, pepper and salt to taste.
- Mix well and set aside.
Making the Fish Roll
- Bring out the dough from the fridge and begin kneading.
- Knead till you have a smoother and more elastic mixture.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a thickness of about 2-3mm.
- Use a dough cutter to trim off the edges of the flattened dough, to give you a rectangular shape. (You can return the trimmed edges to the fridge).
- Place your filling at one end of the rectangular dough.
- Apply egg wash to the remaining parts of the dough (till about half way, then you can leave it.)
- Start rolling your dough over till you’re halfway and cut the dough straight in the middle.
- Repeat step 5-7 for the remaining half and now you should have two long rolls of fillings rolled up in dough.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into three equal parts.
- Now heat about 3 spoons of vegetable oil in the frying pan and allow to heat up for 2 minutes.
- Gently place your rolls in batches (as much as the pan can take but be careful not to overcrowd the pan).
- Deep fry and make sure the colour changes to golden brown.
- Repeat for the other rolls till there’s no roll left.
- Remove from the pan and place in paper towels to soak up the excess oil.
Your Fish Roll is ready to be consumed with one of your favourite soft drink in its chilled state.
- If you’ll prefer to bake your egg rolls, after filling and rolling up the dough, brush the outside with egg wash and place in the baking tray.
- Set your heat gauge to 180 degrees and bake for 20-30 minutes.
- If you don’t have a dough cutter, you can use a ruler (Knife might not be straight).
- Overcrowding the pan might lead to soggy fish rolls and it might not be presentable.