Nigeria, like many other countries is well known for flamboyant and wealthy politicians who are typically found of appearing less than they are actually worth in public. But who are the richest politicians in Nigeria? This is an inevitable question for someone who follows the country’s political trends. So without wasting much of your time, here are the top 10 richest politicians in Nigeria in no particular order whatsoever.
“IBB” as he’s popularly called is believed by many to be the richest politician in the country. He was born August 17, 1941 in Minna, Niger State and was popular as a very strict and tactical military man. He annulled the June 12 Chief MKO Abiola election in 1991 and he’s reported to own one of the most expensive houses in Africa – a multibillion dollar mansion in Niger state. He’s reportedly worth around $50 Billion
He’s popularly known as “OBJ” or “Baba”. He hails from Ogun state and he’s one of the most successful politicians in Nigeria. He was Nigeria’s first citizen first between February 1976 to September 1979 (during the military regime) and between May 1999 to May 2007 (during the democratic period). Baba owns the gigantic Otta Farms and has various other investments. He’s reported to be worth $1.6 Billion.
Rochas Okorocha hails from Imo state. He was born on 22 September 1962 and he’s a multi-billionaire who is said to be worth much more than he portrays. He assumed the Imo state governorship office in 2011 and was re-elected in the 2015 elections. He owns ‘Rochas Motors’ and a thriving real estate firm. Presently one opf the richest governors in Nigeria, he’s reportedly worth $1.5 Billion.
He currently represents Bayelsa East constituency in the house of senate (began May 2015). He’s considered the most social politician in Nigeria. He was born on born 18 February 1956 and he’s known for his company “The Silverbird Group”. He’s a very prolific entrepreneur and a motivational speaker. He’s reportedly worth around $715 million.
Atiku is arguably Nigeria’s most popular vice president. He was Obasanjo’s vice from May 1999 – May 2007. He started out in the real estate business while he was yet a customs officer and he has a logistics company. He founded American University of Nigeria (AUN) in 2005. He’s reportedly worth $1.4 Billion.
Bola Ahmed Tinubu is presently the most successful Lagos state politician. Jagaban as he’s popularly called was born on 29 March 1952 in the city of Lagos. He was a senator till late 1993, and he was the Lagos state governor from 29 May 1999 to 29 May 2007. He’s an APC pillar who’s reportedly worth $1.5 billion.
Melaye is a senator representing Kogi east. He has held nothing less than 5 offices in different political levels in Nigeria. He earned the name “Mr Fix it” for his rants about how poorly Nigerian politics is being run. He has a fleet of cars and motorcycles and is reportedly worth about $802 million.
Ifeanyi made his first million at the age of 19. His investments include a spare part export company, a real estate company, a transport company, an oil & gas company, and a football team. It is believed to be only a matter of time before he assumes office as the governor of Anambra state. His net worth stands at $1.7 billion.
Rotimi Amaechi was born on 27 May 1965. He was the Rivers State governor for two terms from May 2007 to May 2015. He is an outspoken politician and the present minister of transportation. He is reportedly worth $780 million.
He was governor of Bauchi state from May 1999 – May 2007 and he was at the centre of a lot of controversies especially at the second term of his governorship career. He’s one of those politicians whose net worth can’t be specifically stated but he’s reportedly worth at least $895 million.
- Private Jets in Nigeria & Their Owners 2019
- Richest Musicians in the World: 2019 Top 10
- 5 Richest Igbo Men in Nigeria (2019)
- Top 20 Richest Men in Nigeria (2019, Forbes)
- Richest Doctor in Nigeria in 2019 & Net Worth (Forbes)
- Top 10 Richest Musicians in Nigeria 2019 & Net Worth (Forbes)
- 10 Richest Actors in Nigeria & Their Net Worth
- 10 Richest LGAs in Nigeria
- Top 10 Richest Pastors in Nigeria & Their Net Worth
- Top 10 Richest Governors in Nigeria
- 10 Richest DJs in Nigeria & Their Net Worths
- 10 Richest Gospel Musicians in Nigeria & Their Net Worth
- 10 Richest Kids in Nigeria & Their Net Worth (2019)
- 10 Richest Kings in Nigeria & Their Net Worths (2019)
- 10 Richest Female Artistes in Nigeria & Net Worth
- Top 10 Richest Yoruba Actors in Nigeria
- Richest Politicians in Nigeria: The Top 10
- 5 Richest Oil Producing States in Nigeria
- Top 100 Richest Musicians in Nigeria
- Who Is the Richest Pastor in the World? (See the Top 10)