It’s no longer news that the Golden Eaglets of Nigeria have just won the 2015 FIFA U-17 World Cup held in Chile. With the 2-0 victory over Mali in the final match played last Sunday, the eaglets successfully defended the title they won in back in 2015 in the UAE. What you might not have known, however, is that the eaglets also created the following records in the process:
- Nigeria extended her lead on the gold trophies table to 5, leaving Brazil and Ghana to tie at the second position with 3 trophies each.
- Nigeria became the second country to win the trophy back-to-back after Brazil did the same in 1997 and 1999.
- Nigeria became the country to play the highest number of semi finals — eight semi final matches. Interestingly, Nigeria has never lost a match at the semis. Whenever we qualify for the semis, it’s a ticket to the final!
- Victor Osimhen became the highest goal scorer ever at the FIFA U-17 world cup with 10 goals.
- Victor Osimhen became the only player in the history of the competition to have scored in every match from the first round to the final.