The University of Calabar (Unical) was the Calabar campus of the University of Nigeria (UNN) until 1975 when it was declared as the University of Calabar. It however began academic work as an autonomous institution in October 1976 with 896 students and a staff strength of 156. The Motto of the University of Calabar is Knowledge for Service.
The objectives of the University are to:
- To encourage the advancement of knowledge of learning and to hold out to all person without distinctions of race, creed, sex or political conviction the opportunity of acquiring liberal education.
- To provide courses of instruction and other facilities for the pursuit of learning in all its branches, and to make those facilities available on proper terms of such persons as are equipped to benefit from them;
- To encourage and promote scholarship and conduct research in all fields of learning and human endeavour.
- To relate its activities to the social, cultural and economic needs of the people of Nigeria
- To undertake any other activities appropriate for a University of the highest standards.
The male students are known as Malabites, while the female students are Malabresses. The male hostel is called Malabo. Currently, Unical students are about 40,645. Webometrics ranks UNN as 19th best University in Nigeria and 8,704th in the world.
The current Vice Chancellor of Unical is Professor James Epoke. The University has one Graduate School, 10 Faculties, and 3 Institutes namely:
- The Faculties of Agriculture
- Management Sciences
- Social Sciences
- Allied Medical Sciences
- Basic Medical Sciences
- Clinical Sciences
- Institute of Education
- Institute of Oceanography and
- Institute of Policy and Administrative Studies.
University Of Calabar Admission Requirement & Process
The steps for gaining admission into UNN are similar to other higher institutions in the country. Prospective students are expected to have their WAEC and NECO results with at least 5 credits in English language, Mathematics and at least 3 other subjects relevant to the course the student intends to study.
The student is also expected to write the UTME examination with a minimum score of 180. The student then writes Post UTME organized by the University and is expected to get the cut-off mark of the course he intends to study.
To get admission into the Post Graduate School for Postgraduate Diploma, prospective students are expected to be graduates of recognized universities or have an upper credit level pass at HND or its equivalent area of studies. Some professional qualifications may also be considered.
For Master’s Degree, the candidate is expected to have relevant Postgraduate Diplomas from the University of Nigeria with at least credit level passes, or first degrees scores of 50% or above. For Doctorate Degree (Ph.D), prospective students are expected to have obtained a masters degree appropriate for the proposed areas of study with a minimum of 3.50 grade point on a 5-point scale.
The University of Calabar, P.M.B 1115. Calabar, Cross River State
Unical website is www.unical.edu.ng.