Canada is a welcoming and homey country. It is the perfect place to settle down or visit for vacation. It is equally the haven for educational advancement at all levels.
You will surely enjoy your stay in this country if you are going for undergraduate, masters or doctoral degree program in the country. The education system is top class and the leaning environment is highly conducive.
Are you looking for the perfect country to do your doctorate degree program? Canada is one of the countries to consider. The country equally makes scholarship programs available for doctorate degree students.
Some of the scholarships are made available by the Canadian government and there are quite a number of them that are provided by non-governmental organizations.
The university in which you decide to study for the doctorate degree program can also provide scholarship opportunity and you can apply for such scholarship even as a Nigerian, since many of them scholarships do not discriminate on the basis of race, nationality, color, gender or religion.
How to apply for PhD scholarship in Canada
This is internet age and virtually everything can be done right online. You can equally apply for the PhD scholarship in Canada right online, since almost all the bodies, be it governmental or non-governmental, now make it possible for student to apply online.
The scholarship registration forms are available on the websites of the schools or the scholarship bodies. All you have to do is to visit their websites and fill the form. In some cases, you will be required to print out the form before filling it.
After filling the form, you will be required to mail it to the body awarding the scholarship, either by airmail or by email. In some other instances, you can fill the form right on the website and just click submit after filling the form.
The latter is the most popular means of application. You will also be able to attach any accompanying document to the online application form for PhD scholarship in Canada on their website.
The scholarship can cover your tuition health insurance and a number of other essentials. Extent of coverage of such scholarship depends on the body awarding the said scholarship. Duration of the scholarship is also determined by the organization awarding the said scholarship.
Processing period of the scholarship differs from one scholarship body to another. However, most of them do not require more than about 1 month to review and process the scholarship application.
Before you apply for any PhD scholarship in Canada, first of all check all the regulations that pertain to the scholarship. Make sure you provide responses where such are required. The application process for each of the scholarships does differ, one from another.
As hinted earlier, the application form for the particular PhD scholarship will be available on the scholarship website. Importantly, do not source of the application form from another source other than the scholarship’s website.
After completing the online form, it must be submitted to the scholarship office before the specified deadline.
As part of the application process for PhD scholarship in Canada, you will be required to submit a written statement, which is a one-page document containing details of your academic achievements, your relevant work experience and your proposed future career and future study.
The application procedure also requires that you provide your academic records. You need to include transcript from the institution where you graduated for master’s degree. All grades obtained must be provided in the said academic transcript.
In some instances, PhD scholarship application procedure for international students, who are not resident in Canada, may differ from that of those residing in Canada. It is therefore important to consult the scholarship office to find out about such information. Make sure you keep them in mind while applying for the scholarship to avoid being disqualified.
Most organizations awarding PhD scholarship in Canada have scholarship selection committee in place. The committee is saddled the responsibility of selecting qualified candidates for the scholarship based on merit. As hinted above, there is no racial, gender, religious or any other form of prejudice during the selection process.
If the scholarship is being awarded in affiliation with a Canadian university, the selection committee is usually made up of a nominee by the vice chancellor, a representative from your faculty and 1 or 2 representative of the organization sponsoring the said scholarship.
Some of the documents required when applying for PhD scholarship in Canada are highlighted below:
- Final research report
- Application form
- Curriculum vitae
- A copy of your international passport. The said passport must be valid for a minimum of 6 months after your departure
- Photocopy of the main page of the international passport containing your personal information and your photo.
- Copy of your transcript. The transcript can be from the last degree you graduated from. The transcript is expected to bear all the courses you attended and the grades you have in each of those courses. The transcript is expected to bear the official stamp and signature of the institution or faculty you graduated from.
- Proof of English language proficiency must also be included. You can sit for any of TOEFL or IELTS.
- Letter of motivation or statement of purpose should also be included
- Letter of recommendation
- Standardized test scores
- Financial information
- Medical report or health evaluation form
Tips to note
Before you submit the application form for PhD scholarship in Canada, consider the points highlighted below:
- First proofread the application form and all the documents you are submitting. Check for grammar and spelling errors before making the submission.
- Specified word limits for any of the documents or sections in the application form must never be exceeded.
- Do not submit more than the documents requested from you.
- Make a copy of the application form and all the documents submitted before you send or submit them.
- Make sure you keep to the deadline of submission.
- You should never go ahead with the application without proper guidance so as not to commit avoidable errors.