The DS-160 application form is a form that must be completed by every Nigerian who wants to apply for a U.S. Visa (including children). The form must be completed and submitted online prior to the applicant’s interview at the Embassy in Abuja or the Consulate in Lagos.
Before booking an interview, an applicant is required to provide the barcode number on the DS-160 confirmation page. The DS-160 form must be submitted online and the printed confirmation page must be brought to the interview.
Applicants must ensure that all information given while completing the form is correct and true, as misrepresentation of facts could render them ineligible to enter the U.S.
Guidelines for completing the DS-160 visa application form
- All questions must be answered in English using English-language characters only, except when you are asked to provide your full name in your native alphabet.
- The interview post selected by the applicant at the beginning of the Form DS-160 must be the same post where the applicant scheduled his/her interview appointment.
- If the applicant stops working on the DS-160 application for more than 20 minutes, that session will expire, and the applicant will have to start over, unless he/she has already recorded his/her Application ID Number or has saved the application to a file on his/her computer. So, applicants should write down the Application ID displayed on the top right-hand corner of the page. If they need to close the browser before submitting their application, they can continue their application by simply providing this ID number.
- The completed DS-160 application form will generate an alpha-numeric barcode confirmation page. The printed confirmation page is required for the interview at the Embassy/Consulate.
- Once the barcode confirmation page has been printed, the applicant should hit the “Back” button on his/her web browser and then email himself/herself a backup copy of the DS-160. The emailed file will be in PDF format, which requires Adobe Acrobat to view or print.
The DS-160 visa application form is available at this link: http://ceac.state.gov/genniv/